Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock suspension, sway bar removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 1, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I don't have lift, and I'm probably going to keep stock suspension for quite sometime. Right now I'm only going to run 33x12.50's. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading to some bigger tires in the future, and still keeping stock suspension. I'm not afraid to :hack: at all. I know when I flexed out my pathetic stock suspension in the past, it found the front bumpstop pretty quickly. SO:
    Will I see any noticable performance (flexing) gains from removing my swaybar with my stock suspension setup? How hard is it to do? How much weight will I loose? Will it get tipping in high speed mud manuvers?
    thanks,
    James :bow: :bow:

2. fordtruggy

fordtruggy Registered Member

No it wont get tippy and it all weights prolly 100 pounds all together if your lucky and yes the flex is better and worth the time.

I dought there is even ONE true 4 wheelin rig on here that uses a swaybar except some comp buggys use swayaway.

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Because you're near the bumpstops, your compression will not change much. However, you will get more droop. You will probably find your shocks limit this. I'm guessing the swaybar weighs about 35lbs. I was able to easily carry it around with one hand. You will notice more sway when turning. Be careful to avoid extreme swerves at high speeds (i.e. interstates, etc). More trimming will probably be necessary. But, you will find the ride improved.

4. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it is a daily driver, an ORD swaybar disconnect is what to go with. I did this on my burb with 4in. lift and love it!

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Fordtruggy is right, you won't see many non-bling 4X4 with sway bars. I think they were developed as a crutch for independent front sus. With a SFA (solid front axle) you already have leverage from the opposite side when leaning. It may feel more like boating at high speeds but its worth it in flex. I had ORD disco, too much work. Then I figured I'd run it week to week and take it off preparing for an OR weekend; it takes a session of push/pull, on your back etc., not. We leave it off. Now towing is a different story.:bow:

6. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Dude, dump it. One of the easiest and best mods (and FREE too!) around. I agree with Doug -- about 35 pounds or so, takes two bolts to remove. It might feel like the front end wants to "push" a little more when cornering, but let's face it -- these suckers never exactly set the bar on cornering performance anyway. TAKE IT OFF!!