Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Tachometer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazylarry74, Apr 10, 2002.

1. crazylarry74

crazylarry74 Registered Member

I don't mean to ask stupid questions but I recently picked up a stock chevy tach out of a truck at the junk yard and I have a few questions. First of all, Where on the coil does the wire connect to?, and second, When I hook power into the tach the needle will automatically jump to 800rpm without the car on, it will not go to zero. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you're running an HEI hook it up to the terminal marked "Tach" on the distributor. If you're not running an HEI...why the heck not??[winl] Anyway....it will hook to the "-" terminal of a conventional coil. If it is an HEI tach and you're using points you may have to add a filter. If it doesn't work right I can fix it...email me.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Where did the factory tach mount? I have a 1979 K5 and have no place for it on my dash. Did they even offer one in 1979?

4. crazylarry74

crazylarry74 Registered Member

It only came stock on certain trucks. I had to drill out a hole in the instrument cluster for it to work. I replaced the big factory gas guage with it and put a smaller gas guage in where the clock went. I got it put in and it looks good I need to get a battery to see if it all works. Thanks, Michael I will let you know.

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Most tachs never rest at zero, wierd huh?