Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock TBI Heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Apr 21, 2001
    ok, so things are starting to come together a bit for my blazer now.

are there any good TBI heads? a certian cast number or something? i want to get a stock set and then put a couple hundred dollars into them. bigger exhaust valves and better springs and some stamped roller rockers with some port work.

any advice? the next bes thing i think i could do would be to spend the 600 bux on a set of world torquer 2's

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Mar 23, 2003
    I would just get the aftermarket heads. If you do not already have a set of heads, you will have to add that cost in, along with the upgrading.

If your luck is like mine, you will end up with a crappy set that will need everything replaced /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Torquer 2's are good heads.
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Hate to sound like a broken record, but depending on what you want to do with the heads (EGR, etc) if you can equate your time to money, (spending time porting) you'll be way ahead getting aftermarket heads.

You'll end up happier in the end, with a more efficient head in all aspects. Take that money you were thinking of rebuilding a set for, the money you expected to pay for a set of core heads, the money for the porting stuff, the time it was going to take you in porting, and then figure that into how much a set of aftermarket heads are going to cost.

I've read some so-so info on the pro-topline heads, (and of course, lots of conflicting reports) but for $530 or so, I don't think you can go wrong, which is what most said when I read about them.

If you or anyone wants to read about the pro-toplines (including flow info) head over to thirdgen, and do a search on something like topline or pro-topline. You'll come up with some good posts, but you'll have to make your decision on the heads on your own, nothing was clear cut from what I saw.
  4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on TBI heads. If you are looking for performance,you would be further ahead with aftermarket like worlds
    What are you doing to the engine as far as performance up grades?
    If you do any head work other than minor port matching you should get a good intake manifold and cam.
    And then you will have issues with the TBI as well. The stock TBI only flows 500 CFM at best. You will need a bigger TB to suport the higher flow rates the heads manifold cam will give.
    There are a lot of issues that come up when you start increasing air flow on TBI.

Oh yeah. 14102188 are the best TBI heads. They are early swirl port heads similar to Vortecs but with larger combustion chambers,lower compression ratio. They came on a lot of 1/2 tons& K5s from 89 up.
  5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sep 1, 2001
    Why exactly do you need TBI heads? If you are looking to go FI (I imagine that would be the case)? You can always drill the center four bolt holes out on the manifold so that you don't have to use the newer bolt pattern heads. It isn't that hard to do. A couple hours or less and you can run any head you want, including all the high flow aftermarket heads.

My TPI is running the older heads with the newer manifold. I just opened the bolt holes and bolted the manifold on. Rob told me he did the same thing on his motor. You could always have the bolt holes machined at a shop, it shouldn't cost that much.