Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock tranny cooler?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

which line has the pressure, top or bottom? Is it a bad sign if the top fitting is dry? I noticed it today when I pulled my rad
    the fluid does not smell burnt but I figured it could not be a good sign. I going to order a cooler so I guess I really does not matter. but I would still like to know Anybody?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There should be pressure at both fittings on the stock ATF cooler. Try turning the motor over and see if any fluid seeps out of the lines when it's disconnected. If not I'd say that you've got a blockage in the tranny-to-cooler line somewhere.......

3. Can Can

And just so you know, any aftermarket auxilliary ATF cooler should be run in sequence with your stock cooler......

4. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Thanks For the input, I hope it is just a plugged line I will check in the morning, so how do you hook up a Aux cooler? do you just put a T in the line?

TIA

5. Can Can

Basically your fluid should run through the stock cooler first and then the auxliiliary cooler after that. The cooler I bought came with all the fittings and hoses I needed for the install. Make sure you buy a stacked plate cooler as opposed to a aluminum tube/fin design.

6. René

René 1/2 ton status

The lower line is the return. If you open the fitting and ATF goes out there everything are correct (with the engine runs).

I would install a aftermarket radiator in each case but not let to flow the ATF through the stock radiator before. Why additionally with warmth load?!
    Use particularly with the TH700 the largest radiator which you can find, because the cause of death number one for this trans is heat. In Germany these often are already completely destroyed after 50.000 km.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you do not run the tranny through the factory cooler you will overheat the tranny in the summer and run it too cool in the winter. The tranny fluid is hotter than the radiator coolant and therefor the factory cooler helps to cool the tranny fluid. The first cause of death for a 700R4 is heat. Always run the factory cooler then an after market stacked plate cooler for added security.

8. René

René 1/2 ton status

I drive without the stock radiator and made only good experiences. In the summer the operating temperature is between 140 and 185°F, only in the winter the transmission changes the gears a little hard for approximately 1 mile. In my feeling, the water temperature sank a little.

PS.: My tranny has 100.000 mls. without a rebuild.