Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock upper shock mounts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I might need to get some stock upper shock mounts. I busted my driver side plate in half and the passengers stud is pointing in a downward direction. I have a relocation kit from 55Willy but I am running into fitment problems. (not due to any work by 55 Willy, but my custom dual exhaust is in the way). So I might need stock replacment parts to fix my truck. Does anyone have sources, part numbers, and rough cost? Thanks

Harley

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've repaired the stock upper mounts a few times. A bit of welding, some washers and a bit of imagination will usually get it done.

Rene

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

there is a PN for the acutal replace ment stud. 10110, IIRC.

At Kragens, it is in the red box, i think the brand is "HELP!" or something like that. They were $7.00 or so each.

As for the drive side plate, i have never broke mine *knock on wood* so i am no help there. I have seen F-150 shock tower mounts trimmed and bolted up there, FWIW.

4. Hossbaby50

By the way I am talking about the rear axle shock mounts. Useful info I forgot to provide. Thanks

Harley

5. tRustyK5

I broke my drivers side plate /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (some people have talent huh?) I cleaned as much crud off as I could and re-welded it...the thought of dropping the tank and bolting on a new plate after removing the riveted remainder wasn't very appealing!

Rene

6. tRustyK5

The part about the relocation kit cleared that up for...

rene

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so is the break on the frame or on the axle? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Check these out, they come flush from the bottom and don't hang down past the axle...
    Shock Mount

9. Hossbaby50

On the drivers side rear mount there is a plate that holds the stud for the upper mount. The plate is riveted to the frame with 4 rivets. I broke that plate in half. The break runs along the frame on the outside of the outer rivets.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ok. just making sure. i have no idea how to fix that /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. tRustyK5

That is how mine broke...clean both sides up and weld it up. It's a little tight to get in there with the gun but it can be done. Just make sure you clean the two half's of the break as good as you can.

rene

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you broke the top hanger....can you move it over to a good part and weld on a new one, and maybe a plate over the crack and weld it up... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Hossbaby50

To get the rest of the old plate off I would have to drill out the old rivets or use an air chisel to chisel them off. I would have to remove the tank to get to it with a drill and I don't have an air chisel. So I think I am going to have it welded back into place as well as it can be. Then I am going to do like our buddy K5on38's and run it till it blows again. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Then install a relocation kit as then I might have the time and funds to cut the exhaust up to install it.

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

why not do the F-150 towers? they are like $20 for a pair, IIRC and you are doing WAY more than $20 worth of work to do all that!