Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock volt guage hookup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by opfor2, Dec 27, 2005.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Were is the stock volt meter hooked up on a 90 Blazer? I'm statring to have an issue with the volt meter not indicating correctly so I'ed like to check the wiring but i'm not sure were the wire goes after it leaves the guage cluster.

Dan..

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well the wiring diagram I have for your year

http://brochures.slosh.com

go to wiring, and 1988-1990, page 2... says the only power-ish thing is the pink and black wire, pins 4 and 17, going to the gauge fuse in the fuseblock. Unless it's the brown wire (#5) off the alternator.

-- A

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The later gauges get their 12V from the same source(s) so things like oil pressure and volt gauges will use the same source. (without looking at the manual)

I know when I wired mine up with the 1990-91 cluster, that was a major difference between the earlier and later...the printed circuit, and thus the wiring, was much simplified.

May be the connections for the gauge itself, or if other gauges act up at the same time, probably an instrument panel to cluster connector issue.

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

No one else has any ideas?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You've pulled the cluster?

If that gauge is the only one that is reading wrong, and you've verified system voltage with a voltmeter, then it's going to be the gauge itself or the connections for it on the cluster housing/PCB.