Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stock vs. Jet 700r4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backlash, Nov 4, 2000.

1. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I know there's been a lot of talk about this, but I'm still confused...

I'm ready to buy another transmission, finally. I've been driving this truck with only 1st and 2nd gear for a couple of months while saving money. Therefore, rebuild is probably out of the question.

A tranny from the dealer for my application is $2250.00 installed with a 36/50,000mi warrantee. Have been happy with the stock performance to this point. There's a lot of talk about rebuilds ... have been looking into the Jet line.

Need some feedback concerning if it's worth the extra expense for a daily driver. Plan to do some offroading once I get to AK ... provided motor holds up.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Thought I'd bring it up again.

Supposed to take it in on Wednesday.

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think for a little more you could get Jet built 4L80E. And you wont have to get another tranny for a long long time. Plus you will have six gears, I think. I know its over drive and it can take a pounding.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

No way a rebuilt on a 700R4 goes for $2250!!!!!!!!!! Check another source like a tranny shop, you don't go to a dealership for a tranny rebuild.........they are just way too high. You can buy a Jet I believe for around $1400 or thereabouts, totally tricked out with a Corvette Servo, etc. Try another source, check in Fourwheeler or Petersons Four Wheel and Off-Road for ads, do an internet search for JET (can't remember their website url, sorry). But DON'T go to a dealership, even if they did rebuild it, it would be no upgrades...

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I believe that price is for a new GM tranny installed. 700r is 1250.00 from dealer I guess they are gonna charge you a grand to install. You could do better. BlazzinOR, where can you get the jet for 1400? All the adds Ive seen are 1595 thanks.

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I'm using the dealer a lot b/c of the warrantee. I'm driving this baby to AK next summer. Concerned about breaking down in BFE with no way to get a repair unless I use a dealer.

I still don't get what these upgrades are. What kind of difference am I going to see?

7. Go to this site please !! Awhile back I was looking into a well built 700R4 when my stock tranny blew up and I found bowtie overdrives, the guy builds nothing but overdrive trannies. He priced a high peformance built 700R4 with Torque converter, temp gauge, sending unit, drainable pan, maunal/electrical TC lock-up, new T.V. cable, and a tranny cooler for 1300-1400 bucks. The tranny itself was only a $1020.00 including the fee for a core. There is not a better price for a better tranny anywhere. There is a guy that goes by turbo on here that actually has one installed. Good Luck!! Jet and TCI 700's are way too much, when you can get a Bowtie Overdrive 700R4 for alot less and probably built much better. http://www.700r4.com

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

8. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Bigburb is right!!! I have talked to this guy acouple of times at the local car shows he goes to. He only deals with overdrive trannies. He told me he could tailer the tranny to my tast and durability. And he does more to improve the durability of the tranny( tighter tolorances and what not) The web site will give you a good idea of what i'm talking about. Good luck!

9. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Thanks Bigburb,

Did check out the site, however no mention of offroading. Probably doesn't matter though. Any idea how to get ahold of TURBO?

Before I moved up here ... I had a nice set up ... garage-wise that is. Currently I'm living in a one bedroom freakin condo with no way to do this instal myself. I literally have to pay to have this put in (killing me)!

Have written to the Bowtie Tranny guys. Perhaps they've dealt with in installer around here.

Thanks for the advice.

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Well that settles that question ... can tailor it to off roading or highway or whatever. Still uncomfortable with the fact that I'm on the East Coast and will be driving to AK next summer and he has one location.

Breakdown in BFE could leave me with nothing.

Thanks,

Will be talking to him.

11. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I dont know if the dealers warranty will cover breakage due to stress from user abuse i.e. four wheeling or rock climbing. Aside from that premature wear from non-stock or modifyed eingine. My buddy just mentioned this to me. He works at Fox Chevrolet in Maryland. If you are getting the performance 700R4 from the perfomance catalog it comes with something a little toward what you are going for.

12. Buy the tranny from Bowtie and have a local shop do the install. I can get one swapped out for around 150 to 200 around here.

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The 4L80E only has four gears, not six. They are now making a 5L80E or it might be a 5L60E, thats got 5 gears.

90K5

14. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I will call this guy tomorrow. Sounds too good to be true. I guess to satisfy my curiousity I need to talk to Jet also ... they do install locally.

It's a done deal if Bow Tie has any dealings round these parts.

Thanks for all the help.

15. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

where can i get some info on a 5L80E or a 5L60E?

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey bud, can Bowtie set these up for conversions.....in other words if I want to go from my T-350 to the T-700R4 do they have the parts to bolt it direct up to my NP203 (from past memory you have to change the output shaft on the 700R4) or do I still have to get an adapter for the tranny from Advance Adapters? If you know that would be great.........thanks.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

17. Got to there site and get there number, give Steve Holmes a call and he will give you the lowdown !

18. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Here's what their tranny's are made of. Sounds pretty awesome. They are starting to due work on the newer tranny's.

> Got your website off the ColoradoK5.com forum. One of the members suggested
    > I check you out.
    >
    > I have an 88 K-5 Blazer 4x4 , 350 motor with a 700r4 tranny that doesn't work
    > in 3rd or overdrive. Was planning to take it into the dealer for a rebuild
    > replacement. Everyone on the website says I can do much better than the
    > dealer price.
    >
    > Will your 700r4 work well in my application? Have you sent any of your
    > rebuilds to the Metro, DC area? If so, can you provide me with an address
    > and telephone?
    >
    > Currently I'm living in a freakin condo and cannot do this instal myself.
    > How would logistics be handled?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob

Bob:
    We certainly can do better in price and quality than a factory certified rebuild
    even considering freight which will be around $190.00. The failure of their third
    and fourth gear is the number one failure of this transmission as it comes from
    General Motors, their certified rebuilds do nothing to change that problem, we
    address it head on. If you look at the following description of our transmission,
    you will note we use a nine clutch and steel pack in these units. This has
    virtually eliminated this problem. The most important thing is our focused
    knowledge concerning these transmissions, we have never done anything except
    Th-700R4 transmissions as long as we have been in business, we literally do
    thousands of them a year and have had to "fix" design issues because we have a
    very personal relationship with our customers that GM can't have.
    Having it installed certainly shouldn't be a problem, again just ask for
    referrals. Get someone who doesn't mind taking advise from a supplier about the
    installation, more importantly, they should be willing to look for the real
    causes of these transmissions to fail, lock up of the converter failing to
    operate correctly and cooling deficiencies.

* Th-700R4 (4L60) transmission with a heavy duty torque converter is $1200.00.
    We use nothing but late model (1988 to 1993) 4X4 cores. Then perform a
    blueprint overhaul using only quality brand name components like Raybestos,
    Alto, Borg Warner, Torrington, Delco Remy etc. Every transmission features a
    new pump hardened steel pump rotor and vanes, hardened steel guide rings,
    double and stronger (high rpm operation) slider springs, H.D. Sprag, output
    Planetary with hardened ring gear and H.D. Pinion gears, New bushings
    (doubled in most major areas), Custom made (to our specs) one piece teflon
    seals, high temperature center seal, custom built servo assembly (our
    design), larger boost valves (both the main and the low/reverse), special
    accumulators (our design), custom shift calibration (our specification),
    nine frictions and steels in the 3/4 clutch pack with a special backing
    plate, special band anchoring just to name a few things. We perform over 40
    upgrades and modifications for increased durability and strength. The torque
    converter features a Kevlar friction, largest Lux dampening assembly
    available, torrington bearing to replace the thrust washer, largest
    available sprag, new steel pump drive bushing, brazed turbine vanes and the
    assembly is precision balanced for smooth operation. These converters are
    available in 1800 or 2200 stall speeds at the above price.

I quit giving out referrals because we have to contact them, to get their
    permission, prior to giving out their names. Sorry, we realize this is certainly
    a very effective way to make people feel comfortable, but it is a time consumer
    that we just don't have a staff for. You already had one anyway, the gentleman
    who referred you to our web site.

We have all these items in stock and can ship your order very quickly. I hope
    this gives you the information you were looking for. If I missed something please
    feel free to ask further questions. All of our transmissions are pre tested on
    our in house test facility to insure correct operation and operating pressures.

We accept all major credit cards, money orders, cashiers checks, bank transfers
    or personal checks from southern CA.

Our normal office hours are from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday PST.

Sincerely

Steve Holmes
    Bow Tie Overdrive

19. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Thanks for this tip BigBurb. I e-mailed them what I was looking for and what I have. I too believe that TCI and Jet are way overpriced.