Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stock Wheel Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bret73, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Bret73

Bret73 Registered Member

Does anyone know how wide the stock aluminum wheels are on my 90? And or has anyone had any experience running 33x12.50s on these wheels?

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The stock ones were 15x7. I have 33x12.50 on 15x7 steel wheels on my '80, but I don'tlike it. I'm going to put them on some 15x8s one of these days.

3. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

Look on the inside of your drivers door. It should say the wheel size. I have a 90 and it has 15x8's stock on it. I run 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's on them with no problems

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Stock alum or steel?

5. Bret73

Bret73 Registered Member

Thanks for the tip, I'm not very observant.
    It says I have the 15x7/8JJ (aluminum wheel)

Mark do you have the Aluminum or the Steel Rallye?

Are these going to be too narrow for a 12.50? I've seen a lot of guys running them and they look good, but I'd rather spring for a wider wheel, or run a narrower tire if they are going to roll and not perform well.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What are you going to use the truck for? BFG 33x10.5r15's look great on stock wheels, and the BFG AT's are great all around tires (IMO) and I'm sure the M/T's are capable as well, but those are your only choices in that size.

You'll be a lot less likely to have any clearance issues (front fender) with the 10.5 tires vs. the 12.5's.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have stock 16x6.75in rims and am running 38x13x16in tsl swampers on them and have had no problems /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Bret73

Bret73 Registered Member

The trucks my daily driver so the majority of use will be on pavement, but I'll do some camping and wheelin in it as well.
    I've considered the BFG 10.50s, My brother has them on his stock 82 K5, and the look pretty good. I'm planning on lifting mine (2 1/2 to 4 inches, haven't decided). The 10.50 would work good with a 2 1/2, but they seem to look a little smaller to me because of the narrow width, and I think they would look to small with a 4".

9. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

I have the steel wheels. If you are going to lift it 4", then go with the 12.50's. My brother bought the 10.50's and hated the way they look. He runs 8" rims like me. So I don't have any advice on the rim width. I ran my 33x12.50's with no lift and didn't rub, but everyone has a different story about rubbing so you'll just have to do some measuring and pick what you like best. Good Luck!

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well since we are on the subject of stock wheels does anyone know the back spacing on them? i just have the two stock wheels in the front the rear wheels are some wagon wheels..got it like that. but there are dunlop tires on the front with the stock wheels they are like 29's i think im not sure..not bigger than 30 or 31's though..(have ot check) but the tires are kinda fat, and they stick out just even with the fender..and the rears are in a little farther..by the way, they from an 84.

Bryan

11. Bret73

Bret73 Registered Member

It's probably not the backspacing. The rear axle isn't as wide as the front, so the rear tires don't stick out as far, my stock wheels are like that.

12. dyeager535

I can understand the issue once its lifted about tire "looks", but a 4" lift on 33" tires still leaves the same amount of ground clearance as 33" with no lift... (diffs are still same height from ground)

I mean if you wheel hard enough to *require* a lift that's understandable, but I firmly believe if you don't need a lift, the problems they cause are not worth it just for looks.

As to width, if you dont raise the vehicle, you don't notice the tire width even while behind the vehicle, since 10.5 is the normal width of the 31" optional K5 tires, and probably pretty close to the 235/75R15 standard tires.

But again, thats my opinion, I don't like seeing trucks lifted for no reason other than looks, especially since it makes the wheelwells look out of proportion to the tires, without running 35"+ tires.

13. Bret73

Bret73 Registered Member

I'm after looks and function. Your right that a 33x10.50 would probably be fine without a lift under normal driving conditions, maybe even a little wheeling. Obviously alot of it depends on backspacing and tire width, but 12.50s could rub turning into the driveway.
    I think a lot of the ride characteristics of a stock truck can be improved with a quality suspension package, on and off road. True you don't gain any additional ground clearance, but I've never thought that a little extra room between my rockers and the rocks was a bad thing.

14. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

Most tire manufacturers say that a 31/10.50 is the biggest tire that should go on a 7" rim. 32/11.50's and up should not be mounted on anything less than an 8" rim. I'm in a jamb myself. I have 31/10.50 BFG AT's on my 1991 K-5 and have run across a set of 32/11.50 Dunlop Mudders and am very reluctant to mount them on the stock 7" alum. rim. I'm not sure what to do either. I can't go bigger without lifting and I know that I'll rub 33's without a lift. I've thought about buying Mickey Thompson 15 by 8 Classic II's (as they look similar to the stock wheel). I really don't want to lift this truck as my 1972 K-5 is lifted 2.5" in front and 3.5" in the rear and I can rub 33/12.50 Super Swampers which sucks.

15. Bret73

Bret73 Registered Member

I wonder if you could get an Aloca style wheel and drill/tap holes for the stock center caps. I like the stock set, but I also really like the MT Alocas. I don't know if I would want to experiment with something like that on a brand new wheel.
    My brother has 33x10.50 BFGs on his K5 without a lift and he can stuff them up in the wheel wells without rubbing. I had 32x11.50s on the stock 8" steel ralleys on my last K5 without a lift and never had rubbing issues.

16. Bret73

Bret73 Registered Member

Dorian brings up a good point however, I think I'll seriously consider my needs are before I get carried away on a lift. I honestly don't want to go 4" unless I have to. Everyone I've talked to says don't do the 2 1/2, you'll just want to go higher. The trails I go on aren't extreme by any means, but you never know when you will get in a situation when your wheel will need a little extra clearance. I imagine that on a stock wheel the issue would not be rubbing on the outside of the fender but possibly on the springs or inner fender? Which may be more tolerable then crunching a fender.

17. dyeager535

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I think I'll seriously consider my needs are before I get carried away on a lift. I honestly don't want to go 4" unless I have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like, I can measure rocker panel to ground clearance, and anything else you'd like to see what kind of distance we are talking about on mine.

IIRC, even my trailer hitch (stock, hangs really low) has 16" of clearance now that the sag is gone (add-a-leaf) with the 33's.

The way I look at it is if you don't go with some flexier springs or something else that increases flex, the wheeling point is kind of moot. Granted, you'll have better rocker clearance with the 4" of lift, but the truck STILL won't flex if its sitting on stock springs.

Sure, I've got 16" of clearance at the trailer hitch, but that doesn't mean in any way, shape or form that I can hit a 16" tall rock with the front tire, because the body is STILL in the way. Even if I could, with the stock suspension, the opposite tire would lift if I tried.

After mounting the 33's, I jacked my truck up in the garage, with the jack on the furthest outboard part of the axle, to test clearance. Before the tire even came CLOSE to rubbing, (and it didn't appear it ever would, and it never has) the other tire lifted from the ground.

Actually the rubbing with 12.5's is totally on the outer fender if I'm not mistaken, and due SOLELY to the width, which is why the 33x10.5's *seem* to clear on most everyones trucks. Have to be careful saying they WILL clear on everyones, but they seem to so far. I can't see trimming to fit 33's when another width would eliminate the problem. If you are that serious about wheeling, I'd seriously consider a larger tire anyway! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I know what *MY* intended usage is, (mainly daily driving, hunting once a year, and going to fishing holes and just having some fun) and I know I'm limited in what I can do with the rig off-road, but its a trade off (as everything is) between capability, comfort, looks, and safety. The 33x10.5's look great with no lift, as they fill up the wheelwells, (look to stock dodge rams for big lift little tires...yuck) didn't require trimming, don't increase the center of gravity much, (safer on and off road in that respect) don't increase the chances of axlewrap over stock, don't increase u-joint wear, don't require t-case dropping or steering mods, get better mileage than wider tires, and do better in "shallow" puddles, light snow and mud. (narrower tires don't float like wide ones)

Not an attack on you or anything, just the way I look at it, and just thought I'd toss my ideas and thoughts out there for you to ponder, before you went and spent money!

One thing though, (as everyone that has gotten heavy into wheeling will attest to) is that if you ever do decide you want to get into more difficult stuff, the 33's aren't going to cut it for most people, and the lack of lift WILL hurt you. But if you never plan on it with your truck, then it would be pointless. Personally, I'd spend a little money on some already beaten up truck and hack the heck out of it, than do the same to a nice straight one if I decided I wanted to get "serious" about wheeling.

18. dyeager535

btw,

http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/TablePics/front33.jpg (notice the tire in relation to the rear of the fender opening...wider tires, when at full lock and some flex, like a bump, will hit right there...you can see though, with 33's, straight up and down, the fender opening is bigger than 33". It's the *width* that kills you with the 12.5's, not diameter..10.5's are completely inside the wheel well when at full lock. Non-stock wheels would affect that as well depending on backspacing.)

and

http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/TablePics/rear33.jpg (before sag was fixed)

Are pics of the 33's mounted. People have even asked me how much lift I had on there. Both when I put the 33's on, and when I fixed the rear sag lol

http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/TablePics/factorydieselexhaust.jpg

KIND of shows what they look like from the front or rear. But as you can see, the width would be almost impossible to notice from behind, the bumper covers at least half of the tire from the back. If you had a lift, the width would be apparent I'm sure.

19. Bret73

Bret73 Registered Member

Thanks for the thoughts, you bring up a lot of good points. I think I'm in the same boat as you, I just bought a really clean '90K5, and I want it to stay that way. It's not going to be a real serious rock crawler, I just want to be able to take it off road, camping, fishing etc, maybe have a little fun, and have it perform well without messing it up.
    I had 35x12.50s on my last truck a 72 K20 with a 4" Sky Jacker, it was more than capable of doing what I wanted, but I don't think I'll be taking this truck on the same stuff I did that, and 33s should give me sufficient clearance. I don't think that the stock 10 bolts would handle that much tire anyway if you got into anything serious.
    Anyway thanks for the posts, you've given me some good info to consider.

20. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi,

I have an 89 with steel ralley rims (original) and I run with 33x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains with absolutly no problems.. I also lifted the truck 3 inches as well
    Mike