Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stocked up on Gas??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Jan 23, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Does anyone buy gas in bulk for personal usage. The gas price right now in my town is $1.89/gallon. This is the lowest I have seen it in a couple of years. It kinda makes me want to stockpile before the summer's $3 a gallon (or more).

Any regulations in Texas owning 250 to 500 gallon fuel tanks?

Where do I find one?

11-13 mile/ gallon is a killer at $3/gallon

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Just remember, fuel has a shelf life of about a month before quality starts to suffer :D .

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You can buy it in bulk for farm use for much less than that.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

With SERIOUSLY hefty fines if you're caught with it in a road-registered vehicle.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Do they color it differntly for agricultural use like they do with Diesel? How would they know? I am not condoning doing that as it is illegal I am just curious how they would inforce it.

Ira

6. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

What starts to happen to the gas? I have several 5 gal cans that sit around months at a time but I've never noticed any side effects. Huh,:thinking: . I thought it started happening after 6 months or so. I'm confused.

What qualifies for a farm account? I have two dogs and a rabbit,

but give me a couple of months and I should have 20 or so.:D Do I need a calf or something?

7. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Didn't see previous 2 post. Not for registered vehicles? How am I suppose to get my truck to tractor supply to get my rabbit food. Serious though, I had no idea it was illegal or I wouldn't have asked. I do use the truck for summer work, just not for farmin.

Is this a federal law or state. I see alot of people with both gas and diesel on there land. Just curious.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is illegal for non agricultural use as there are less federal taxes on the ag fuel. Just as over-the-road fuel has different taxes than regular joe blow fuel.

When I was a kid I had a diesel Luv truck and I filled it out of the fuel tank we filled our tractors from. Was it illegal? probably I did use the truck in my work on the farm but it was a registered vehicle so I dont know.

To your original question I have never heard of buying gasoline in bulk for personal use. I dont think it will go bad in a month but the properties have to change some what which could effect power by 5% or so. That would be about .5 HP or less:D

Ira

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I don't know for sure but I imagine they do something similar. There has to be a way to tell.

As far as the vehicle, a street-registered vehicle used on a farm is different than a farm-registered vehicle used on the street.
    What is involved in registering a vehicle as a farm vehicle? I'm sure it varies from state to state but it may have something to do with how much land you own or how you earn your income.
    Since the government is involved, you can bet it's a complicated process.

As far as how long you can store gas... it depends. If it's stabilized and in a sealed container, I've stored it for a year or better with no noticible ill effects in my various small engines.
    If it's not stabilized and kept in a coffee can :rolleyes: , then you'd be lucky to get a month out of it.

10. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I guess my best bet is to contact my local coop.
    Thanks for the info guys

11. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd be more worried about safe storage of the fuel rather than any taxes. You have to be careful where you put it, how it's pumped and what not. I wouldn't have any place to store it out of the sun but in my garage. My garage gets pretty hot in the summer too. I wouldn't want it in there. If it was to blow up I seriously doubt my homeowners insurance would cover it once they found out I was stockpiling fuel.

The kid next door to me tried to do this, but he wanted a drum of 110 octane race fuel. His dad wouldn't have anything to do with it. Kind of a go buy your own house and blow it up deal.

12. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Local stations here are still running ~$2.60/gal :mad:
    Costco was $2.45 when I filled this weekend

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I personally dont worry about the price of fuel. It is a necessary evil sorta like an operating expense. It does get expensive but we choose to own these vehicles.:o

Oh it is between $2.45-$2.85 depending on where you go down here.

Ira

14. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I am not necessarily complaining about the price of fuel, I am just trying to pinch my nickels when and where I can. 2 years ago, this wouldn't have bothered me but I gave up $45,000 yearly for better family involvement and the job I found is basiclly a minumum wage job as a teachers aid in special education. Now that I am here there is no way I could give up teaching these kids. I drive a bus, do side jobs and work as a full time youth director as well to make ends meet. For the past 2 years, my wife and I have became pretty good at making a dime go for a dollar.:waytogo:

15. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

You bet...but depending upon the area and how closely it is watch...you would be surprised how many pickups get run off of Red fuel

16. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats cool. I'm thinking still, the cheap cost of fuel is still outwieghed by the logistics of storage and safety. I just don't have the space. Heck I'd love to fill my tank from empty for under $40, but I don't have the coin to buy all my fuel up front either. Plus I look at it this way, my tank is the larger 31 gallon size. 1 55 gallon drum won't last but a tank and a half. Three drums would still only net just over 5 tanks in the K5. That's a lot of fuel to be storing in my two car garage.

17. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wouldn't advise it

I'm in the construction industry in Calif I rent and sell all types of construction equipment. From first hand experience, if over-the-road vehicles are caught with red dye diesel in the truck by the police while on the roads or streets it is not the police who get too invloved it is unfortunatly the IRS because as discussed earlier, it becomes an issue of Taxes. Holy crap! They came down hard on us and it was only a first offense. I'm talking $1,000's of dollars. Don't know how gasoline would be detected as ag use but don't get caught. Something about tax evasion!!! Just my $.02

18. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Buy an old long bed PU and add a 2nd or third tank. When the price goes up start siphoning. But what I you fill up now and next week gas goes down $.50? Or buy a 43 gallon tank and put a brick under your gas pedel:wink1: .

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Boy... I almost feel bad that I filled up at $1.799 this past Saturday.

Almost. ;)

20. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Wow...just wow. If gas were that cheap here I dont know what id do but it'd involve using a lot of gas :crazy:. It's 2.57 now here in CA, the cheapest its been for a long time