Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stoked to have the K5 moving

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_blasto, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

As I mentioned before, I just got married but couldn't go to my new home in SLC, UT with my wife because my car wasn't done :(. I have no idea if anybody cares, but it is exciting for me so I thought I would post up that the K5 is mobile:woot:!

Before I parked it, this thing was totally stock. List of stuff I did:
    35" Tires on 15x10's
    4" TC EZ-rides in the front
    Drop Steering arm
    ORD shackle flip
    Tough country shocks
    Extended brake lines
    Headers
    Poly Urethane Body mounts
    1" ORD body lift
    "Altered" the fan shroud
    New U-bolts and Ubolt flip for rear
    Ground the calipers
    New 1-wire alternator with somewhere around 100 amps (I have forgotten)
    MSD 6al, MSD distributor, MSD coil, MSD spark plug wires
    New spark plugs
    New fuel filter
    Put the top back on
    Put the hood back on

Stuff that I had to have done for me either for lack of time or inexperience:dunno::
    Dual Exhaust
    Extended shift linkage
    Complete Tune
    Alignment

Sure seems like I did more than that, but I think I covered about everything. Of course I wasn't working on this full-time, but it took me a heck of a lot of time. I have extremely limited hands on experience working on cars (I have done minimal work on a '60 dodge dart and a bit of front suspension and brake work on a '66 VW bug). I also don't have any fun tools like a torch or air tools. With the help of this site I figured it all out. I don't have anybody with experience to look over my shoulder and tell me I am not building a death trap, so everything becomes really exciting. And of course I have found a laundry list of things that need to be taken care of that I was not previously aware of, but that is another post. I have been really interested in working on cars since I was about 14 or 15, but have had zero opportunities to wrench and even fewer people to learn from. I got a couple of pictures, but I can't get my hands on that fun cable that connects my camera to my pc (misplaced in moving).

The car was in driving condition as of Friday 3/18, and I drove from LA to utah on Saturday 3/19, and Utah to Aspen, Co Sunday 3/20. Seems to be running pretty good.

I have very little wheeling experience, but I am excited to go at it once I have some time when I get back to UT.

WOOHOO! :saweet:

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Nice! Sounds like you've made a lot of progress. Wish I had the confidence to drive my '72 to even Salt Lake (only four hours). Next time you pass through Junction you should post up, there's a few members here but I think I'm the only first genner here (a few in Gunnison and Montrose area).

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That suspension work alone is an impressive amount of labor!! :thumb:

Like most things in life, you always have an appreciation for something when you've either done it yourself, or at least tried to.... I don't think I ever appreciated how much work a suspension lift was until the first time I pulled a spring, and had to drill out all those dry-rotted bushings.... or had to grind off all those rivets from the factory hanger to get the shackleflip installed..... :yikes:

It's a good feeling when you spend some "quality time" with your truck. You feel like you really understand what's underneath it and every part you touch is being improved along the way. It definitely helps give you confidence when you decide to make that first long "road trip" with her....

:cool1:

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a great amount of work. Sounds like I am similar to you, not much experience but sure enjoy doing this type of stuff and not afraid to jump in and try the different projects. I just keep telling myself, it's all just nuts and bolts.

Post up some pics of your truck.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool, I too will be excited to 'move' my K5. My wife is getting in the way....I think I will fire her:D hehehee

6. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

il have to first gens they dont run yet but i have um

7. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Driving through friday afternoon or early evening, but I got to be back to SLC ASAP to help out with my wedding reception on Saturday. I'll be back through before too long though.

My feelings exactly! Honestly couldn't say it any better

Yeah, that is how I motivate myself to start any project, "how bad can it be... I know how to tighten a nut"

Don't tell me that wife's get in the way! I had to chuckle reading that

Well, what are you waiting for... get 'em goin

To all, thanks for past help and current support. I was a little worried about starting this post being that I am pretty new to all this, and the work that I have done is probably not all that impressive in the sight of all you who have been at this a while. Thanks for being supportive. I have been very impressed with the community here at Ck5. After I get my life back in order, I have a lot more questions in queue.