Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stolen..not yet..maybe

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OFFRDK5, Oct 22, 2000.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got problem. Bigger than my 1 pt a day tranny leak and bigger than my no glow plugs problem. I walked outside a bit ago to get some stuff out of my K5 and waht do I see, I see lots of people hanging around my K5, tryin the doors and looking inside!!! Luckily my S10 was parked next to it but they were even lookin at it too!! I know about alarm systems and keeping crap out of sight and keeping the doors locked. What is there for me to do? They even had the balls to ask me if I knew who owend it. I told em I didn't know. I talked to my local police dept and they said that I had to have damage before anything could be done!! I think my rig is going to be stolen or broken into? What can I do guys and gals (if there are any)?

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Try sitting in a bush with a paintball gun or something. They'll never know until its too late! [​IMG]</font color=blue>

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

What about a starter bypass? You can set up a switch that disengages the starter that would require a button be pushed to start the truck. You can mount it in some hidden place and they won't be able to start it if they do break in.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If you have a garage, park it in there. I'm guessing this wouldn't be a problem if you could, so maybe see if you can park it in someone elses.

90K5

5. OFFRDK5

Starter bypass...hrm..how hard is it to install one of them on a 1983? I have heard most new alarms run off that little computer in the dash and they all have to be hooked up to it?
    Nope no garage. No place local to drop it off. I live in an apartment complex!!

SK-15

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Do you park on the street, parking garage, or private driveway?? In KS you could go with criminal trespass if your vehicles are on private property and it is posted no trespassing, fenced, or has some other barrier to the general public. If not, get a big dog and let him sleep in the back at night. Anytime you see anybody around it write down a good, complete discription of them and what they are driving, time of day, etc, then walk out taking pictures of them. They are in public and you have absolute authority to take their pictures. They won't like it, but they don't need to be by your K5.

Cruisin in my '73.

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Man, I can't believe you didn't say anything to them. I guess its safer that way. I used to have a really nice really big Jeep that attracted alot of unwanted attention. All the people I had to yell at to scram were harmless. But you might not be so lucky. Either a fuel interrupt or starter kill would be a good idea. The starter wire can still be hotwired even if you put a switch on it. Do something the bad guys wouldn't expect. Put an interrupt switch on the power wire for you distributor cap. Disguise the wires for the switch real good and put it in a weird place that can't be reached from the drivers seat. Do stuff they wouldn't expect!

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I installed a starter button low down on the dash, almost under the steering column. I also installed a plain shifter knob on my T-case shifter and leave it in neutral at night.
    I once bet my friend he could'nt start and drive my truck even if I gave him the keys, that was an easy $20. He tried everything and just kept getting nothing and finally after 10 minutes he gave up, gave me the $20 and asked how to start it.[​IMG]
    I also leave nothing of value in my truck.
    My switch is a push button style so you have to turn on the ignition with the key and then push the button to activate the starter.

Rene

[​IMG]

9. OFFRDK5

'73 K5...I don't wanna sound bad...but there ain't gas under my hood...I got Diesel. I don't think these people are so harmless...there is a guy that lived a few apts down from me. He has a nice looking Mustang. Its gone now..no one can find it. He even had an alarm system that could trace the vehicle around the globe and it can't be found.

SK-15

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Alarms don't need a computer to hook into. Its one wire at a time. And easier on older cars...usually. But like I said, ONLY a starter bypass is bad because your starter wire would be tapped into under the steering column. The bad guys know just where to look.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Wire the starter kill to the wipers or something, so it wont start if they are on the on position, then everytime you leave it, turn the wipers on[​IMG]

90K5

12. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Diesel?!? Dangit. I've never worked on a D truck before. Maybe DBlazer can help you out...I'm sure he has some Diesel experience.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Post deleted by BlazerGuy

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think DBlazer means Dallas Blazer

90K5

15. tRustyK5

When I wired my switch I sent both wires through the firewall and tapped into the starter wire under the hood. Then I put all the wires in the loom again and you can't even tell.
    I like the windsheild wiper idea. Cool!!
    I may have to 'borrow' that idea!

Rene

[​IMG]

16. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I say get a good description of the persons.. and try to find somewhere else to store your vehicle in the meantime..
    And next time if you see them near your truck(s).. walk out with a big shotgun... that ought to deter them .. that's assuming your on your own property. I wouldn't attempt displaying a shotgun at an apartment complex...
    I had my 89 Jimmy stolen within 6 months when I moved to Texas... go figure.. I move from New Jersey and my truck was never stolen.. to Texas ? Go figure..

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

17. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Get The Club!

My 2 cents.

Dawson
    88 K5

18. tRustyK5

Dude they just cut the steering wheel! Then they bend the wheel enough to remove the club. It takes about 30 seconds.
    If you are relying on the club for theft protection you are not going to have a K5 for long.

Rene

[​IMG]

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

They also just put some refrigerant on it and hit it with a hammer and it breaks.

90K5

20. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Woops! I was wondering why no one had mentioned that yet. I don't have one. I was wondering why I haven't seen as many of those around as I used to.

Dawson
    88 K5