Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stolen....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, May 3, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, just wanted to share the events that took place yesturday, I parked my truck at the train station to go to work. When I returned someone had stolen it. The police found it at about 1:00 a.m. It had been wrapped around a telephone pole, I dont have any pictures yet but I will post them as soon as possible. They didnt even steal anything from the inside, just went for a joy ride and smashed it up. They hit the pole just to the side of the drivers side frame rail. I (think) the frame might be o.k. but the whole front clip, radiator, steering column is trashed. I am not sure what I should do, If I should try to salvage it or just dump it and start over. If any one has any sugesstions please let me know. Is any one out there parting out any clean K5's? Is there anywhere to buy a new tub? I know you can get a fiberglass, but is there any where I can get a steel tub. Sorry I am rambling but I have a good excuse.. Thanks guys..

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about that. Not much I can say to make you feel better. If it were me, I'd keep it as a parts truck in the least. See if you can't find another one that needs some of the things that are still good on yours. Don't lose the faith.

Sorry
    Kyle
    89K5

3. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Too far to be of any help but I am very sorry to hear about your loss buddy - hope you find everything you need soon and cheap.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Blazerboy,
    Man, I am sorry to hear that. That just truly sucks. I saw in your profile that you have an 88' Trans Am. If you could use that as your daily driver and save the truck for a slow restoration. Depending if you have the cash, but just save up and search for parts at the local Bone Yards and pick up parts as you go. Put it back together. May take some time, but will be worth in the end. Good luck to you brother, and my advice is get a kill switch and hide somewhere hard to find in your truck. So, no joyriding punks can start your truck without finding the switch first.
    Boss

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Check with Chad...he has a k5 that has a blown motor ans he wants to sell it...best I can do for you at the moment.
    Chin up my friend...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

6. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

Wans,t there a guy awhile back in here begging someone to buy his tub. check with him. 78blazer posted on 3/31. here is his email chvyragtop@aol.com

fix'n finally

7. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Too bad your not closer to OK, there were 2 in the paper this week for low $$. One was an 82 Jimmy w/ a rebuilt motor but bad tranny for $900. And the other was a 85 K5 w/ rebuilt motor & tranny for $1100. I thought about looking at them since I have to replace my engine in the next few weeks, but I just need to spend the money on a crate motor.

8. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Hey mann, that really sucks, sorry to hear it. I live 30 miles north of Chicago; what train station was it at? I would be willing to give you a hand on it if you want... let me know! Later

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

9. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Thanks buddy I apprieciate the offer, I have to sit back and evaluate what I am going to do, the more I look at it the better it keeps looking. I think I might be able to get away with replace the whole front clip and column. I take the Orange line from Midway airport, where do you live???

10. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that Blazerboy, here in california you can get some pretty good cheap blazers, my uncle just sold a 78 Blazer Jimmy the motor was gone but all the other parts were good, hope you find everything to restore yours good luck.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

11. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

I'm in Lake Forest not too far off of I94. If you need a column, I have one from an '86 (???) with tilt and cruise... the only thing that is wrong with it is the wiper switch is broke (only runs on high) and the turn signal lever is gone. If you need it I'll sell it to you for $50... a new switch is $60 from LMC just to let you know.

12. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Not sure if I shoul'd ask or not, but was it insured, and if so won't insurance help you fix it a little?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

13. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

That sounds good, I should be able to get my switch out of my semi/destroyed 87' column. Do you have any pictures of it.

14. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

No I don't cause I have no way of scanning it. The column is actually in my '89 now because the '89 is the one with the wiper switch not working. The '86 (I'll call it that for clarity) wiper switch works in high/low/and some intermitent... it doesn't click the way it's supposed to but it works fine (I put RainX additive in my washer fluid and I don't need the wipers until it's down-pouring and then I put them in high). I'm planning on fixing the '89s column in two weekends so then I'll have the '86 out... is $80 ok for the '86... I was thinking of the '89 when i gave you the price (oops, sorry) I'll deliver it.

15. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Man, I can't beleive what happened. Apparently the damage doesn't sound too bad. Heck, they coulda flipped it and made it totally unsalvageable. But, if I was in your shoes, I would probably use the truck as a parts truck. I also own an 87 K-5. The one thing I hate about it is that BS TBI "fuel injection" under the hood. Damn compression cutting, restrictive.... anyway, maybe if you can find an 85 or older K-5, pick it up and use the stuff from your 87 on it. If I ever killed my 87, I'd definately go looking for an older truck (or a better motor!). As my friend says, "computers should be on tables, not in trucks"
    Well, good luck no matter what direction you go.
    - Bill

16. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

Check out DRMS and check and see if there is a military auction going on any time soon. I picked up my blazer for $275 and sold the rears for $225 It didn't have any other driveline compponets. More or less I got my tub for $50 bucks and they usally have low miles on them mine only had 39,000 on it. Right now I'm coating the underneath and inside with Duplicolor's Truck bed coating cause I live in PA. These blazers are usally 99% rust free like mine is.