Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stooopid 6.2 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Mar 10, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I know that the diesels are supposed to leave the oil sooty ... but like, how black? The gook I just took out of my CUCV is nasty, capital N - A - double-ass-T-Y, and I changed it a thousand or two ago when I bought the truck. That stuff was nasty too, but I figgered that was age and questionable maintenance (previously owned by county sheriff, after the Army.)

I mean, there's no identifiable sludge or metal shavings, but it's blaaaaaaaaack, and in a gasser it would scare me if the oil was that dirty.

Is this normal?

-- A

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thats normal, 10 secs after startup on a fresh oil change and the oil is black

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lol yeah

but also make sure you keep on top of the air filter condition and crankcase ventilation system too

other than that dunno

good luck

4. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

You WANT the oil to come out nasty. Everything the oil keeps in suspension doesn't get deposited somewhere in the engine.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Phew. Thanks all -- and yeah, it's black already. I figure if I change it every 2k miles or 6mos I'll be way ahead of the curve ... I wanna keep that 6.2 happy, as new ones aren't as cheap as gassers :deal:

At least it uses the same filter as the other trucks, just funny oil.

-- A

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

black gold..texas tea...

Yep,it looks like tar 5 minutes after a fresh oil change!..you'd think it has never been changed in a hundred thousand miles the way it looks..I was a bit shocked on my first diesel (VW) that the oil was so black and tarry,but its normal for a diesel...all the soot that blows by goes into the oil.

Thats why its important to use "Diesel Rated" CC-CD oil such as Rotella T, or another good oil,to keep the soot in suspension in the oil..regular oil wont handle the task..
    ..I use 15w-40 Rotella "T" in my 6.2..or something equivilant,and a Wix or AC filter..I change the filter every 1500 miles,oil at 3000 miles.....filters are cheap,and it feels full and heavy each time I change it..my truck does lots of short runs and does not get driven very long,gets most of its running time when plowing..I have yet to reach 3000 miles since I got it in dec 03!..so I change the oil going by months,not miles..I havent changed the fuel filter yet..:blush: --but its a Wix,and looked recent when I got it!...:crazy:

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't call it normal for all diesels. Normal for 6.2/6.5 and EGR equipped maybe but not all. With 173K on my Cummins the oil is still cleaner at 3K than on my new 6.5TD with 1500 miles. That much soot in the oil is an indication of inadequate ring seal. The 6.2/6.5 has only 2 compression rings Vs the CTD having 3 compression rings. Work with a fella who has over 160K on his CTD and changes the oil/filter every 10K running non-synthetic oil and comes out only slightly darker than it went in and the oil analysis shows low soot content.

Like R72K5 mentioned, check the crankcase ventilation system also.

8. Jimmy6.2

Jimmy6.2 Registered Member

Could it have something to do with the lack of seals on the valve guides on the 6.2? I had EGR on my 6.2 but I took it away and blocked the port on the heads.

Per