Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stoopid atlas question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 29, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I was just wondering if an atlas was like a custom transfercase, simular to a 205. And would someone just use that for low gearing, or would they also add a klune-v or doubler or something... I dont really get it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think an Atlas case is just a high end case thats pretty damn strong and comes in pretty much as low of gears as you want. Its for the hard core crew I'd say.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

This isn't the first time this has been explained to you is it? An Atlas is an Aluminum transfer case. Stronger housing than any factory aluminum case in a light duty truck. Chain drive but much stronger than a 241 or 208 chain. They come in 3.0, 3.8, 4.3, and 5.0 gear ratios. Those are the only options on gear ratio. You can just use them as your reduction or you can put a klune in front of them but that is only if you really want to go low.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This isn't the first time this has been explained to you is it? An Atlas is an Aluminum transfer case. Stronger housing than any factory aluminum case in a light duty truck. Chain drive but much stronger than a 241 or 208 chain. They come in 3.0, 3.8, 4.3, and 5.0 gear ratios. Those are the only options on gear ratio. You can just use them as your reduction or you can put a klune in front of them but that is only if you really want to go low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you know what you're talkin about alot more than I do!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm a hardcore web wheeler what do you expect? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ah! but you need to web wheel some more. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    The Atlas is NOT a chain drive unit. They are an all gear driven unit like a 205. The rest is correct.
    There is some debate about the strength of the Atlas in a full size running big tires etc. They may not hold up?? Strong emphasis on MAY.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

doh, I was remembering a comparison of a 241 and something elses gear/chain no idea what unit that was.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That was the first time I ever typed atlas (meaning the transfercase, not book) so I dont know squat about them. Thanks for explaining it to me guys /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, what they said... mad low gears (up to 5:1), gear driven, strong AL case and big high-spline yokes are available. People who don't want the drivetrain length or weight of a doubler but do want looow gears really like em.

j

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thus why I want one. Planned about 100" wheelbase and light weight rig next so just what I need.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I suspect they aren't going to last for bigger trucks like ours with 4O+" meats, just for those light 3000 LBS buggies?

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Atlas is NOT a chain drive unit. They are an all gear driven unit like a 205. The rest is correct.
    There is some debate about the strength of the Atlas in a full size running big tires etc. They may not hold up?? Strong emphasis on MAY.

[/ QUOTE ]
    does anybody knoe anyone whoe is rinning one in a full size, i know they blew one up in the ultimate Avalanche but that was due to some other things, they look pretty bomb proof to me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif still kind leaning toward the dubbler

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

DBlazer and Nonesuch both run them with great success

14. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    does anybody knoe anyone whoe is rinning one in a full size, i know they blew one up in the ultimate Avalanche but that was due to some other things, they look pretty bomb proof to me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif still kind leaning toward the dubbler

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran one for two years in my old ride. It then resided in a Campbell Ent. comp buggy, and it is now in a TJ thats is gutted with a hawt small block, 60's, 700r4, and comp 37's M/T's.

My old rig was a K5 w/ 42's, hummer beadlocks, 350, 700r4, and 60's. I beat the piss out of it and never had a moments problem. As long as you get 32 spline front and rear outputs, you are money. I broke numerous 35 spline axle shafts, knuckles, hubs, lockers, etc., but never had a problem with the Atlas.

I put a strong emphasis on the fact you will not ever have a problem with one of these cases. That being said, anything can be broken under the right circumstances, or with lack of maintenance.

You can also get an atlas without a speedo housing to make it super short. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

a buddy of mine is building a cruiser buggy with a 465 to 203(rangebox) to and atlas /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif why i don't know /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

You can also get an atlas without a speedo housing to make it super short. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    like you need one of those anyway

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a buddy of mine is building a cruiser buggy with a 465 to 203(rangebox) to and atlas /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif why i don't know /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    DBlazer has a Klune V in front of his Atlas.

18. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yah, I run the Klune in front of the Atlass, and some will argue about my /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif!!!!

I have said it quite a few times before, my Atlass has been a champ. I have not broken anything in it at all so far. I did break the output shaft frome the Klune into the Atlass. I have been VERY happy with mine. It is a set up that I have no regrets at all setting up. I crawl everything. I very rarely bump hard. It has given me the ability to pick the wackiest lines and run places most won't go!!. Again, we like the gnarly-that ain a trail- you are going where?? kind of lines and trails!!

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    DBlazer has a Klune V in front of his Atlas.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the atlas can handle that, its fine in a fullsize.

j

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It has given me the ability to pick the wackiest lines and run places most won't go!!. Again, we like the gnarly-that ain a trail- you are going where?? kind of lines and trails!![/b}

[/ QUOTE ]
    this being my goal /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif