Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stoopid Steering Stabilizer Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, Nov 5, 2005.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

Swaping out my steering stabilizer in my '73 K5 with a TC replacement. Nothing fancy just one stabilizer shock replacing the stock one. Actually I'm not sure it WAS the stock one cause it was mounted ON TOP of the axel perch (I think that's what you call it). The suspension is OEM and the top pf the stabilizer tube actually touched the DS leaf spring!?! THAT and it was a b*tch to remove. I was in the middle of putting the new one in the same way when it occured to me to simply mount it BELOW the perch. Which way is correct??? Can't find any good pics in my manuals.

Thanks for any help on this one.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats not a factory setup to my knowledge. Factory has a bracket welded to the driver side axle tube and goes to the hole in the tierod.

3. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

Yeah, that's what mine looks like. Sorry for the crappy description :D. SO does it attach to the top or bottom of the bracket welded to the driver side axle tube :confused:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

top, if it is hitting the spring I'd look at your ride height and try to figure out if your springs are worn out. THey should have negative arch, but so much as to hit the stabilizer just doesn't sound right.