Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stop signs....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Anybody even think about stopping at stop signs anymore these days? Pretty sure that 85% of drivers these days have no intentions of stopping at all. Not the "rolling stop" mind you, but, blatantly flying through stop signs. Bet we could save a lot of taxpayer dollars if we just got rid of them all together.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I was sitting at a four way one day. Late afternoon, sun still shining bright. If someone was scanning like they should have, it's not like I was on top of the signs, but I wasn't that far away and it's flat out here. I have no way to hide. I'm sitting there and this car blasts through, probably doing 80, doesn't break stride. So I go get it. When I get close enough (about 1/2 mile or so) to same lane, 84mph. Speed limit is 55 mph. I hit the jets, get up behind it, hit the lights, nothing. After about a mile, I hit the siren. We end up going about five miles until the driver finally stops. I was out on that stop for awhile.......

It doesn't matter. Daytime, nighttime, almost everytime I have sit up on that four way, I've gotten someone.

The best so far was this one. I was in one of the towns at the five way stop. It's about 10-11 at night. I was just passing through, sitting at the sign. Car is coming and I decide to sit there and see what they were up to. Usually nothing, but who knows. Car runs the stop sign. I sat there probably ten seconds before they even got to it, lights on, and they run it and turn down another street. So I stop them. A search turns up a bottle of Jim Beam in the rear floorboard. There's a girl back there, drunk off her ass. Claims it's not her's but her position in the car and the bottle's position says otherwise.

So her story was this, her sister was actually sitting where the bottle was and her sister bolted from the car as they were stopping for me. Only problem with that was I was right behind them the whole time, no one ever stopped. I think I also offered up video evidence contrary to her story. On top of that, her sister at the time (don't know the marital status these days) was married to a detective in a department down the road...................:haha: :haha: :haha:

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I came over to your country for the first time to buy my '91 I drove it from Fort Worth texas to Jacksonville, Florida zigg zagging across the southern States. By the time I got to Alabama I was really confused by these 4 way stops. In England you're either controlled by lights or we have our world famous 'roundabouts' with priority to your right (as we drive on the wrong side!:D ).
    So when we pulled off the Interstate at a rest area and they had some kind of safety campaign thing going on I thought I'd find out exactly how I'm supposed to tackle these things. The young lady preaching road safety said I should ask the trooper (is that correct?) standing by my truck! (here we go again...English accent with Texas plates in the wrong State!).
    So, I casually asked him about 4 way stops hoping I wasn't going to get a telling off for doing them wrong over the last thousand odd miles and he said, and I quote!
    " who ever has the biggest truck goes first"
    My kind of cop!:D

So I'm still confused as to how you should really use them!:haha:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have roundabouts (we call them traffic circles) here and they are a nightmare.

4 way stop rule - If you get to the intersection before any other cars, you have the right of way. If other cars arrive at the same time, the vehicle on the farthest right has the right of way.

5. southernspeed

If you all arrive at the same time (whih happened to me) surely you all have a vehicle to your farthest right?:confused:
    First time it happened to me everyone seemed to just be waiting for eachother, so being English and pleading ignorance I just put my foot down!:D

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, sounds more like any driver from Los Angeles to me. You sure you're not from Cali?

7. southernspeed

Nope, just a little crowded island that would fit ten times into Cali and still leave room for a stretched Hummer!
    When the roads are as crowded with idiots as they are over here you learn to be a little, err....aggresive sometimes, especially when people are in a daydream or on the cell phone. And besides.............I drive a MUCH bigger vehicle than most!:D

8. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

If you get to a 4 way stop at the same time, he with the biggest rig goes first.:D

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

stop signs make good dashes

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

S.T.O.P. squeal tires on pavement.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is when the Trooper's advice becomes the rule. Honestly, if they all stop, I go.:wink1: