Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stop Smoking!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

I tried to start the Blazer at the boat launch yesterday when it suddenly started to sputter and blow black smoke out the exhaust! After trying 4-5 times I finally held the pedal all the way down and it just barely fired up. Of course it sounded like it was running on 6 cylinders and backfiring severely. After warming it up to normal operating temperature and revving it up to try and clean the out the plugs the problem continued. I only lived 10 minutes away and the wife was running late for work so I took a chance and pulled my 18' boat home. On a small incline before reaching my house I could hear a very loud rattling sound. Like a pinging/detonating sound but much louder. In my driveway I turned off the engine and it had the same problem, sputtering w/ blk smoke. I recently changed the plugs and wires. BTW, it's a '88K5 with a FI 350. Any suggestions? Could it possibly be bad gas or a gas filter? I'm gonna pop the distributor when I get home from work today...

Before yesterday I never experienced anything like this... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it's running real rich for some reason. When you put the boat in/out, how far down did you back in? Any chance the O2 sensor got submerged?

I believe a clogged EGR could also cause your issue.

Do you have a TBI scan tool? If not, I would suggest you get WINALDL and check for codes and/or sensor readings.

Thomas.

3. Blazin Ed

I don't think the O2 sensor got wet, only the back tires were in the water and it sits on 35's. How much does a TBI scan tool run?

4. Stoopalini

Do you have a laptop? If so, click the link in my previous post and you can download scanning software for free. If not, you could always borrow one from someone or build a really long cable to go from your garage/driveway to your computer in the house.

The cable to interface the laptop's serial port to the TBI's ALDL connector can be built with $10 of Radio Shack parts. The instructions for building the cable are located on that website.

Thomas.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I downloaded it, but good grief that cable schematic is a foreign language to me.

Looking at those tables and graphs would probably require some explaining too.

I am interesting in learning how to use this however. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Stoopalini

Do you know anyone who can soldier? It's a real easy cable to make once you get the parts. Print the schematic out and bring it to Radio Shack when you go buy the parts; they could explain it to you.

As far as the graphs and such, you just have to know what you're looking at. Last time I used it (a year or so ago), it would give me the O2 readings (lean/rich), Throttle position sensor reading, BLM readings (how much the computer has to compensate to make things like mixture, timing, etc ... where they should be), it'll even give you a knock count (detonation/pinging) with respect to throttle position and RPM.

If you check out ThirdGen.org's message boards, you can find a lot of good info about the program. Last time I was there, there was someone who would even make you a cable for a price.

Thomas.

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Maybe you got water in your fuel. When did you last buy gas? I would pull off the fuel filter and pour it into a glass bowl and see if there is water in it.

8. Blazin Ed

Good advice... I haven't put gas in it for over 6 months since I had it stored in the garage. I'll pull the filter off tomorrow and see if there's water in it. Stupid question - is it easy to see water mixed with gas??? I'm assuming it's pretty easy to see a seperation line between the two. I usually put HEAT in my vehicles - anything bad about using this product??

9. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I downloaded it, but good grief that cable schematic is a foreign language to me.

Looking at those tables and graphs would probably require some explaining too.

I am interesting in learning how to use this however. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Source for custom made cable Here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Think he charges around $37.00. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Byron

10. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Ed,
    Same thing happened to me, only not in a boat launch. Rent the scan tool, and check the engine temp, I bet it's the coolant temp sensor. When the sensor trips out, the engine thinks it's -3 degrees out no matter what the engine temp. This will make the truck run like a carburated engine with the choke stuck on. The sensor is in the intake with a 2 prong plug in it. If the scan tool tells you the temp is not what it really is, replace the sensor and a new set of plugs should get you runnin like a top in no time!.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy