Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stop! Wait! Hold on. .. . .explain the hydro clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Aug 3, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

just found out the tranny i am buying is a hydro clutch, and apparently doesn't hook to the frame. will install be harder? what does it hook to?
    PICTURES!!! if possible.

**the pedal**

2. BowtieRed

ok. . . .basically. if anyone has some time on their hands- just explain all i'm gonna need to do for the swap from TH350/NP203 to SM465/NP241 with hydro clutch. thanks.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Aight, hydro clutch 101 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The clutch pedal has a stud in it a few inches from the pivot. The clutch master cylinder mounts to the firewall and a pushrod goes THROUGH the firewall and hooks to the stud on the pedal. Then there is a hydraulic hose that goes from the master cylinder (the one of the firewall) to the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder mounts to the bellhousing. The bellhousings for a hydro and mech. clutch are different...The hydro bell has a flange with one large hole in the center and 2 smaller holes (one on each side of the bigger hole). The slave cylinder has a pushrod that goes through the bigger center hole and the SC also has mounting studs that go through the smaller holes..The pushrod on the SC pushes the shift fork that pivots on a ball IN the bellhousing to release the clutch...

I think the hydro would be a heck of a lot easier...You have to drill a hole for the MC pushrod and 2 smaller ones for the MC mounting studs (the studs are actually incorporated into the 2 struts that come off the clutch pedal bracket...

The pedal for a hydro setup ARE different that that from a mech. setup...You can make it work, but you MUST put the hole for the master cylinder pushrod in the correct spot or you could either ruin your MC or have a clutch that doesn't release all the way...

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd hate to install a mechanical clutch assembly. Every time I look at mine It just looks so complex. Its easy really if you look at it but at first glance it just looks annoying difficult. Hows this, Hydro clutch = no clutch binding when your articulate.

5. BowtieRed

ok, well it's all coming off the same truck already want together once, will that help with the SC mounting?

6. BowtieRed

alright, can i keep the same brake pedal?.

7. fortcollinsram

So the donor truck has a hydro clutch? If so, you are home free buddy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Onnly thing you have to do is swap the pedal assemblies and drill the 3 holes in the firewall for the MC behind the clutch pedal...The SC will just slide into home on the bell housing and you hold it on wiht 2 nut on the 2 studs...

8. fortcollinsram

Do you have the entie pedal assembly from a hydro donor truck? The clutch is held in place by a bracket that is attaced to the brake pedal bracket...The brake pedal brackets are the smae from auto to manual, just the manual bracket has an extra chunk of metal off the side that hangs the clutch pedal...Yeah you can keep you brake pedal, but I would cut the foot pad down so you dont accidentally hit the brakes when you hit the clutch...I kept my auto brake pedal b/c the clutch assembly I got was off a hydro boost truck and the brake pedals were different...I just swapped my old brake pedal into the bracket...ASll had been good on mine for a year...

9. BowtieRed

now i'm hearing that the bracket won't come off of the firewall? i'm confused!!!!

how about this. a simple list of all parts necessary to put in this transmission swapping from a TH350.

10. fortcollinsram

Heres the list:

-sm465 tranny (duh!)
    -HYDRAULIC clutch bellhousing
    -Clutch master cylinder
    -Clutch slave cylinder
    -hydraulic hose to hook the master to the slave
    -hydraulic fluid resivouir and hose to feed the master cylinder
    -hydraulic clutch pedal and brake pedal assembly
    -shift fork and shift fork pivot ball
    -throwout bearing
    -clutch and pressure plate
    -flywheel

Thats it...

11. BowtieRed

ok, the seller said he included the braket that attaches to the brake pedal bracket, does that work?

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Don't forget to get a piolt bearing.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member