Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stop!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Jul 7, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I dont have stop lights I already checked the bulbs and they look fine, also the stop light switch I bought a new one and it still didn't work what else should I look for, I really need some help I'm driving without the break light but I do turn on the head light at least so I can have some kind of light back there thanks guys.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey chaka, you may know this already but your brake lites work in conjunction with your turn signals. You may have a problem with your turn signal switch.......it's under the steering wheel. Do the blinkers work on the rear?

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey Michael the turn signals do work what I noticed is that the wire that goes back to the brake lights apparently doesn't have any power I tested the wire with a tester and I dont see any power what could be causing this???

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

Its good that you tested the wire for power. Its bad it has no power. You should follow the wire and see if it is frayed or grounded or just plain old detached. I went through sort of the same thing with an 81 suburban, I found that the tailgate was closing on the wires! hope this helps.

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Jimmy that sure does help, I'll follow the wire from the front all the way back and check it thanks.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a grounded wire. You could always overfuse it and look for the smoke! Good luck.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

chaka, the brake switch has an adjustment (in and out) that needs to be set for when the brake pedal is depressed the switch comes on. Make sure you have 12 volts going to the switch when the pedal is up and 12 volts comes out of the switch when you push the pedal. If you have blinkers your wires should be good all the way to the rear. The brakes and signals use the same wires. It sounds like a brake switch or signal switch problem to me. There are 3 wires going to the rear for lites- one for both tail-lites( and license) and one for left blinker and brake and one for right blinker and brake.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The green wire from the right rear goes to the turn signal switch, the yellow from the left goes to the same place. When the brake is depressed 12v is sent down both wires to illuminate both lamps. When the turn signal is used , the appropriate lamp wire is connected to the flasher causing it to blink. If the turn signals work, this proves that the ground and power leads from the front to the back do indeed work. I believe Micheal is close to what may be the problem by looking at the brake switch which is actuated by the brake pedal. Remove the switch from it 's holder, remove the power connecter and test it for voltage. It should have 12 volts on one side as the power to the brakes comes directly from the battery via the power block on the firewall. If you are familar in the use of a volt/ohm meter, set it to check for continuity, so that when the leads touch each other it causes the needle to deflect.Place the leads on the contacts the power connector came off of and depress the switch. If the switch is good the needle will deflect. If all this works replace the switch and make sure the brake pedal does cause the switch to actuate. This should do it.If not there are other things we could check. Good Luck...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1