Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

storage box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Mar 6, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I am going to build a wooden storage box (then cover it in black formica for that custom look) for the rear wheel well hump. I am just curious what type of things I should build into my box. (shelves, slots, trays, lids, doors, locks etc..) Just looking for any ideas.. Thanks

2. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

A false bottom (Colt Seavers style) to hide your wheel lock key, cd changer, artillery, etc.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Are we talking just a box to go over the wheel wells? If so, there is a company that makes 'em. Can't remember the name but I'll hunt it up. If we are talking about something bigger, then I've got a design for a box that would slide in behind the seat. It would take up ALL of the storage space and go from side to side,and seat to tailgate. I even talked with Tuffy about getting camlocks to match my console.

Kyle
    89K5

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Unrelated, ... but related.

I did what someone suggested on the old board = built a box under my center console. It's a great place to store stuff, and raised up the console enough to be an arm rest for me. It's "lifted" a total of 5.75 inches. You just have to compensate for .75 on the top front and .75 on the back/rear to get the angle right. (Hey, my first lift on my rig!) Dimentions are 10" wide * 16" long * 5.75 " high. I'm going to add a locking metal slide out drawer to it when I get a chance. Check out the pic:
    [​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

5. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I was just cutting out a pattern to go over the floor of the rear cargo area that is about 6 inches tall, and I am making one big drawer that pulls out with the tailgate down. This way I can still have storage space and only loose the height.

What are your plans, just the wheel hump?

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

6. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

Sears/Craftsman has a tool box that mounts behind the rear wheel well on a pickup and swings out for access. Looks like a good way to store tools and small parts.

Kent

1989 K5

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I have a set up I like for my 79. I built a box thats 11.5 inches high (just tall enough for my tool box). It fills the whole back of the truck. The top is 3/4 so that it can handle anything I need to stor on it. The tal gate seals the back. I was always getting hacked off becuase what I need on trail rides was on the bottom. I found a big rubber maid storage box that also resided under there and acts as a drawer. It hides every thing from veiw is also nice. Has worked out real well.
    Now my 75 is about to get a "under bed box" this is what you see hanging under semi trailers. It is pretty weather resistant and has a good gasket. It will be 24 deep by 48 wide and 18 tall. it has a drop down door and will be just perfect for my 75. I'm ordering it from a truck repair (semi trucks) place. Will sort of be a trunk for my truck when it's running topless all summer.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

8. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

center console

i'm the one that put the post on the old board about the lift kit for your console. glad to see it was appreciated. its a nice little trick that other blazer owners seem to like. you can also mount a cigaretter lighter to the front of the home-built box, so cb's cell phones, etc can be plugged in without cords dangling across the truck.
    my wife can't figure out why i like messing with my truck. she always says, don't you think chevy knew what they were doing when they built this? you think you know more than chevrolet?!?

i did another thingie to the console last night. stuff is always getting thrashed and mixed up in the console, and its very hard to find that particular thing when i'm driving, so i made some compartments for crap. i basically made one of those things that are in a twelve pack to keep the bottles separated. i cut some cardboard in 3" X 8" strips, and cut a slot to secure to another strip. i already knew what i carry in the box, so it was just a matter of cutting the slots in the right places.
    and i have no idea how you managed to draw that pic, so you'll have to use your imagination.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>