Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Storage ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FRIZZLEFRY, Sep 9, 2002.

1. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I just thought I would share my storage ideas I created over the weekend.The storage area I have to work with is very small,a step side box shortened 13".So between the aluminum tool box and a 37" spare,I aint got a whole lotta room.I figured I would start takin advantage of unused space outside the bed.

The first spot I used was under the front of the bed.I used 4"x5' long black ABS pipe,capped on one end and a screw on cap on the other.There is room for 1 long side and 1 short side front axle shaft.My 60"HiLift is right next to it.I got this idea from Marv Springer /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

[​IMG]

I hung my spare front drive shaft on the frame using brackets that I made that use existing holes in the frame.The shaft is held to the brackets with hose clamps.

[​IMG]

Gonna make some more brackets to hang a spare rear drive shaft on the drivers side frame rail.Gonna look around for places to hang more stuff and free up more space.

Any one else do stuff like this? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, i have seen what you do in that Franken-Rig, i would be worried that a rock would reach up and grab the ABS or dent the driveshaft.

great ideas, but i think you wheel a bit too hard to have plastic under there, IMVHO.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Great ideas, I'm working on some similar stuff. Only think I would say is build some clamps to the brackets, those worm drive clamps very well may break from vibration, much less impact. With your fab skills and access, I would make some straps like the factory exhaust hangers. Just simple 1" x 1/8" (or even lighter) strap with a loop/hook on one side, bolt on the other with strap and base bent in a semi-circle to securely hold the shaft.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif The ABS tube boesnt stick out the sides very far and its on top of the frame so I think it will be safe.I prolly could hit the front shaft with a rock or somethin but I would have to be doin somethin reeealy cool /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you make sure to pack those shafts in the PCV pipe tight so they don't have a chance to slide and slam against the end and blow it out it sounds like a good idea. Robzilla had some of those strapped down in the bed of his 72 Short bed.
    You know you could probably get a couple of those round rocket cans from your local army navy and cut one end off and weld them end to end and make a steel storage tube that way. Nice and water tight but easy to open.
    You might want to paint the sealing surface on that front yoke to keep it from rusting. You can scrape the paint off with a razor blade when you need to use it.

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ah...i see the ABS mounting area now that i look REEEEally close.

you also do have a tendency to do those REEEEEally cool things that other do not /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. FRIZZLEFRY

Thanks.I was in a hurry,thats why I used hose clamps /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .The bracket is a short section of pipe cut in half so that its shaped like a "C" that matches the od of the drive shaft with a bolt welded to the back of it.1"x1/8" straps would work better than hose clamps.When I get time /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

don't mean to Hijack the thread but:

Fry, do you do aluminum work? I need a dash (ultra simple design) fabbed up...

9. FRIZZLEFRY

I thought about that.If they got a running start Im sure they could blow the ends right off the tube.I will stuff some rags in there to keep them from movin around.Rocket tubes would be way cool!

I was just gonna slap a bunch of grease on the yoke but painting it sounds better.Thanks /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. FRIZZLEFRY

I dont yet /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I just got a TIG machine at work and Im learning to weld aluminum.Just need them to get me a sheer and a bender and I could make all kinds of junk /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Perhaps you could also use that black ABS pipe for a 'tater gun. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif no, wait... 5"... hmmmm lets see... that would be a grapefruit gun !!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. FRIZZLEFRY

I think shootin grapefruit would get expensive /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, I've got a grapefruit tree in the back yard. Hmmm, something to do with all those excess grapefruits. Hmmmmm.....

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd like to see a grapefruit gun! Of course, I'm not so sure that grapefruits have the structural integrity required to handle being shot out of a cannon like that /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif </font color>

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Grapefruit Shotgun, good spread but low range, side firing for hitting car jackers in the eyeballs with stingy juice eh? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

SWEEEETT!!!!
    You ROCK Frizz!
    Ok off the the Hwr store to get some ideas!
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    RUBICONRUBICONRUBICONRUBICONRUBICONRUBICON!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif