Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stories like this really annoy me...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Mar 30, 2004.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Why is this even in the news? You take an ag science class and then freak out because the teacher puts 2 (sick) baby rabbits out of their misery /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Am I the only one who finds this incredibly stupid? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

***************************************************************************************************
    PLANT CITY, Florida (AP) -- A Plant City High School teacher did not violate district policies or procedures last month when she used a shovel to euthanize two dying baby rabbits, school district investigators said.

The preliminary findings after Jane Bender, an agricultural science teacher, met with the district's Office of Professional Standards. Bender faced possible disciplinary action for dismembering the sickly newborn rabbits with a shovel in front of her students.

On February 12, Bender euthanized the two day-old rabbits after they had been rejected by their mother and pushed out of their pen. One of the baby rabbits was covered with ants, and the other was lying in a water trough.

The district ruled Monday that it is accepted veterinary practice to euthanize the animals in that manner.

"It appears to be an issue of student perception," said Mark Hart, spokesman for the Hillsborough County school district. "One or more perceived that to be a cruel or inhumane act, but in point of fact, that's part of farming."

The case received national attention, spawning a flood of e-mails to the district, most expressing concern about the method Bender used to euthanize the animals.

Hillsborough County Animal Services has charged Bender with two counts of animal cruelty. The charges carry civil penalties of $310 per count. A court hearing is scheduled for May 5.

Bender intends to fight the charges and will have at least one veterinarian testify for her.

Although the school district likely will not discipline Bender, it might issue a letter of caution, Hart said. The letter would be the only blemish in Bender's 30-year personnel file.

"It's very important there be informed consent from students who will have to witness an animal being put down," Hart said.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

What awaste........................................................................................they could have disected them.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifme

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

somebody is always bitchin about something, the rabbits needed to be put down.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

While a tragedy, it was necessary. Last night I had to put down two adult bunnies. The first one I hit at about 70 and the next one was actually a "suicide by cop" case, he swerved into my car while I was running about 80. Nothing I did was by plan to end the life of these two, poor defenseless creatures, just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Bubba the wabbit slayer.... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

What? What about the ol' pillowcase and sledgehammer method, then you don't have to look at the rabbits, just the bloody bag......

Yeah cute little bunnies, so sad.... Rats?! KILL EM QUICK!

I guess I'm a little biased, growing up on a farm and cutting pigs throats with pocket knives when thier guts spill out thier sac when you're castrating them

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

SHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Be vewy vewy qwuiet...it's wabbit season...huh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Like the article said - the kids needed to know that was going to happen and should have had a choice to participate in or witness it or the opportunity to not participate. The fact that the "bunny huggers" are going ballistic is what alarms me! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The people who do the most complaining usually have never seen this or been around a farm in the first place.

In a related matter - an animal shelter operator here in KY was charged with cruelity because he was putting down stray dogs by shooting them with a .22. Some bunny-hugger video taped it and the liberal-a$$ news media splashed it all over the TV. The fact that this was the most economical way to do it didn't matter - and the fact that this is how it's done "out in the country" also didn't seem to matter. So the state legislature in it's infinite wisdom decided it needed to waste time and draft a law that says that animal shelters cannot euthanize animals by shooting them. They now must spend thousands of dollars - that are not in their budget - on expensive drugs for lethal injections.

Give me a break here!! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Like the article said - the kids needed to know that was going to happen and should have had a choice to participate in or witness it or the opportunity to not participate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but when I took a co-op livestock class, I assumed I would be seeing some unpleasant stuff just due to the nature of the class. I just think if you are taking "ag science" then it's pretty much a given /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I guess everyone is so damned concerned with being PC and not pissing off this group or that group, it's probably better for schools, etc. to CYA and have everyone sign a form or permission slip or whatever [​IMG]

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Poor choice to kill them in front of kids (which is why it's getting attention). But if they are dying in pain like they were, then hello, this was what had to be done. It shouldn't be in the news. Talk about lame.

11. Resurrection_Joe

I'd really like to be a school speaker, I'd be the complete antithesis of the way things are run today.

Now presenting for your education, Resurrection Joe

Hello!

*lays gun down on table*

How you kids doing!

*starts smoking*

Yeah!

*has a beer*

So..... here's the deal, smoking is really bad for you, it causes cancer and makes you hack your lungs out, but it does look cool and is mildly relaxing, it's a choice you'll be faced with, I hope you never smoke.

Next, drinking to excess is not cool, but drinking in moderation like anything, is fine. Good for your heart, flavonoids or something. Anyway don't get drunk and ruin peoples days, just be cool about it. And quit throwing all your beer bottles in my yard.

OK $20 TO WHOEVER CAN DISSASEMBLE MY 1911 !!!

*continues for hours*

Ahhhh, only in dreams, only in dreams

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

bout a year ago back in yuma i was a guard for the ordinance compound(i cant tell you so dont ask ) on base.

rabits in yuma are BAD. i hit 4 in one night. one i just clipped its head. its face flew farther than the rest of the bunny.
    i was rather ammused from it so went off and tried to hit as many as i could in the 98 K350SRW. dually long bed.

the next day when i came in for post i had to see the boss man. he was questioning why there was a lot of blood on the truck, and if i had been trying to hit peter cotton tail.

i told him heal yeah, ill wash the blood off tonight and walked out while he shook his head.
    grant
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Plant City Florida, home of the strawberry festival. Been there few times. I thought it was all farmers living there anyways. Kids should be used to killin bunnies, pigs and cows and sh/t. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

As a P-E-T-A member, i must protest at this outlandish display of animal cruelity. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

NOT ONE OF YOU ATE ANY OF THAT MEAT. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Do you know the french have wiped out most of their rabbit population cause they ate them all? They wanted to introduce the brown hare from the U.S. to over there so they can have more rabbits to eat. And here you are, just waisting food! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

P E T A (People eating Tasty Animals)
    [ QUOTE ]
    Plant City Florida, home of the strawberry festival. Been there few times. I thought it was all farmers living there anyways. Kids should be used to killin bunnies, pigs and cows and sh/t. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

15. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

All you need is a little Dennis Leary monologue and you've got it. You ever see the Comedy Central standup bit of Dennis singing "I'm an [darn]"? Classic. Tell it how it is and who cares if somebody doesn't like it.

16. Resurrection_Joe

"What gives mankind the right to kill, at will?"
    "I'll tell you why, guns, big [darn] guns with giant [darn] bullets in them, pal"

"You will eat the meat and you know it! You know why? Because meat tastes like murder and murder tastes good!"