Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stories you would like to see in the newsletter

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by zakk, Nov 20, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

So i am suffering from a bit of writers block.

i have the write-up on the Pismo Trip, 3 vehcile profiles, a current events calendar (we don't do much, do we!?!)

any one else have any ideas? want to do a write up on a recent addition to your rig? I could put in the Springer write-up.

As far as the calendar goes, all i have is the Frank Rains Mud Trip in Late January and my Birthday Bash in Hollister in March. Is there a date for Blazer Fest? anyone else gonna sponser a run? Pismo over Memorial Day?

start spewing out ideas. i need to write an annual report. i'll check back later

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I usually set the date in January for Blazer-Fest.. That is when they start the new calender year at Hollisterhills.. So I can't resereve it untill then... How about asking Chaz how much he likes the Rubicon...LOL

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

can i use the Rubicon write up? or was there one? do we have a soft date that i can print in the newsletter, oh great and wise President? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There was NO write up about the Rubicon.. But if you want you can give me a call and I'll tell you all about it.. A "Soft date for the Blazer-Fest" would be June 27th,28th & 29....

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I was thinkin' it might be cool to do something like a little write up on a member (he he... I said "member"). You know like a little look into the personal life of someone? Married, kids, hobbies, school, etc.

Maybe everyone would think that was wierd, but I thought it would be a good way to get to know people a little better, since we don't get to get together that often (see club calendar /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

great! I'll PM you. i think you got "volunteered" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Oh Hell no... no one wants to hear about me!!

I think you should start with the club officers (i.e., Dan, Mike, Ken, Kim, etc.) ... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    great! I'll PM you. i think you got "volunteered"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey zakk dont forget we have a celeb. in our midst's to...And since she has stepped up to plate we cant forget her Wanker of the month of november too...Mike

Also maybe a stuck of the month too...Maybe dan can make a sticky at the top each month to post our stucks and what happened in them...????

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

oh hell yes!! :evilgrin:

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Also maybe a stuck of the month too...Maybe dan can make a sticky at the top each month to post our stucks and what happened in them...????

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn....If what happened to me last night had happened in the day light, I woulda had a hell of a "worst stuck" story. 3 1/2 hours with a come-a-long winching my truck 250+ yards 4" at a time through 4 mud holes deeped than my head lights....That come-a-long kicked my ass.....I'm sooooooooo sore. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Well I guess it's time for a real winch right?
    Hey Zakk, what about the Trip you guys made in Pismo after I left, with greg's busted top in the story?
    It doesn't have to be all fun, you could also have the bad moments right?
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yeah, i got a blurb on that. I would really like a story on the Rubicon. Can some one write up a draft? (iceman??)

i know there are pics, but i need words to go with them!

13. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

... How about asking Chaz how much he likes the Rubicon...LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

i love the rubicon..the rubicon just dosent love me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Chazz
    I looked at the pics of your carnage, it's not even half as bad as I had it.
    My frame actually broke on the bottom and side, and with the pressure of the spring pushing in the front, the section bent up at 90 degrees.
    I had to pull the frame back in place with a come-along, AND strap the box in place AND make a steering coupler with bailing wire to get it out and drive it home.
    Actually it drove like never before, I guess the frame was badly cracked going in there in the first place.
    It used to wander all over, now it drives tight.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

The So-Cal guys had this write-up::

Location - Lake Tahoe, CA
    Participants - So Cal Big Dawgs &amp; Nor Cal Big Dawgs
    The Rubicon Trail
    9/19/02 - 9/23/02
    Breakdowns - 3
    Recoveries - 3
    Injuries - 0
    The world famous Rubicon Trail was calling our name! It’s been a goal of mine to drive the trail for a long time now, and when the opportunity arose this summer, I jumped at the chance. Our contingent from the So Cal Big Dawgs was small, just my Blazer with myself, Preston Panza and our friend Steve Herring, and also Craig Leszkiewicz in his CJ7. We left for Fresno on Thursday Sept 19 and got some much needed sleep at our cousin’s house there. Rising the next morning, we met Chris Brewer (Frizzlefry) in Fresno and we were on our way! Along the way, we picked up Dan, Ryan, Chaz and Kristen in Lodi and Placerville. After a few hours delay with Dan’s fuel system giving him problems (we replaced the fuel pump in the Kragen parking lot), we were getting close. We gassed up for the last time in Pollock Pines and headed on to Ice House Road. This is a beautiful road that takes you from U.S. Hwy 50 up into the mountains and to the Loon Lake area. We finally arrived at the Loon Lake Staging area at about 6:00PM and unloaded the trucks. It was decided that we would camp just before the real start of the Rubicon Trail, at a place they call GateKeeper. Everyone enjoyed some great dinner (yum, yum – tri-tip!) and we got to see some rigs traveling by in the dark. Sleep came easily after a day’s worth of driving.

Waking early, we were excited to finally be starting the famed Rubicon Trail! After breaking camp, we made our way over to the first obstacle, the gnarly GateKeeper! True to its name, it was a nasty start to a fantastic trail! Kristen showed us how it’s done in her highly modified Chevy truck, but I think we were all not paying enough attention! Somehow, things did not go as planned for some of our group. After a few of us made it up with minor or no difficulty, the carnage began! Steve Burt (who arrived that morning) gave it the gas and was charging through when a loud snap was heard (and sparks were seen flying!) – He had broken a front axle joint! It was decided to get him past the obstacle and then we could swap out the broken joint and get him repaired – well, didn’t happen that way! A few seconds later, he broke his rear driveshaft! So, he was dead in the water and had to be winched off the trail…next up for some carnage was Chaz…he ripped his steering box right off the frame! Two inoperable trucks within about 100 feet!! This was not the start we had anticipated! By now, there was a huge backlog of vehicles behind us, so we pulled over and let them pass…it was decided that most of the Nor Cal Big Dawgs would stay with Steve and Chaz until they could either fix them or get them back out to the trailers. So, Kristen, Craig, Chris and I continued on up the trail, in search of the elusive welding rod! (Chaz’s buddy had the welding rod in his Jeep but had passed us a while back – so our mission was to catch up to him and retrieve the welding rod!). We were amazed by the huge Granite Bowl, and had a lot of fun climbing the many ledges and off camber spots. It was at this time that I noticed that my steering was not cooperating fully. I have a crossover steering setup with a West Texas Off Road ram assist and AGR steering box and Super Pump, so when my steering became very UN-assisted, I knew something was wrong. Fluid was spilling out below the truck…we thought it was overheating and coming out the reservoir cap. So, we motored on, but I continued to lose fluid. By this time, I was having trouble keeping up with the group and got left behind…and of course, as if on cue, my CB radio blew its fuse when I tried to call for help! So, we stopped to check it out again, and figured we’d have lunch while we waited. I crawled underneath and was looking at power steering fluid EVERYWHERE! As soon as Preston started the motor and turned the wheel, I saw the culprit – my high pressure line had cracked in two spots and fluid was spraying out all over! This hose was brand new only two months ago!! So, the only thing to do was limp back to the start of the trail…and let me tell you, I was not looking forward to it! No power steering on the Rubicon Trail is disastrous! Rock after rock tried to rip the steering wheel out of my hands and break my thumbs off…the truck was just kind of going wherever the rocks made it go…and then it happened – I drove right into a rock with the driver’s side rear fender…I’ve got a nice new dent there thanks to no steering control. Oh well, by this time I just didn’t care about that! It took us almost 6 quarts of steering fluid to get back to the start.

Arriving at the Gate Keeper, we met up once again with the Nor Cal guys – they were just about to try to get the broken rigs out. We all swapped stories and helped each other get back out. The camaraderie was just great. We drove out and decided to camp up at Loon Lake that night – it’s a beautiful lake and the sunset was incredible! Again, sleep came easily after the long day and after waking up and trying some fishing, we packed up and got back on the road for home. The return trip to Fresno was fairly uneventful until we had a blowout on one of the trailer tires…Chris was nice enough to let us borrow his spare (the one with our rented trailer didn’t fit!) and we made it back to Fresno with no further problems.

All in all, the Rubicon Trail lived up to its name! I can’t wait to go back and conquer it next time! I guess it whooped us pretty good this time around, but next year will be different! All I can say is bring lots of spare parts and be prepared for anything! And be prepared to spend at least three days on the trail, maybe more. The trail is nonstop in its challenges and the scenery is unparalleled in its beauty! Hope that more of our friends can join us for next year’s Rubicon trip!

- Keith Panza

Thye have pictures on their site also.
    David
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about you could include some highlights of the chop wars on CK5....
    The things to keep us amused while we're bored at work.

Tortilla man to the rescue!

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> DUN-DUH-DUH-DAAAAAA!!! Oh Tortilla Man! My hero!

[​IMG] </font color>

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

sure...start a thread and vote on the #1 Chop and i'll do a write up on it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Zakk-
    You asked for it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif