Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Storing Ammo

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 6, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anyone ever hear of accidental discharge of a round NOT loaded in a firearm? I've never really given it much thought, but I was reading the USMC Rifle Marksmanship manual, and I noticed it always says to make sure stored rounds in mags are always pointed away from the body.

I suppose one could fire outside the gun, but I guess I over-estimate the safety of an individual round outside the weapon round. Could a carpenter's hammer hitting the rim or extremely long drop with a high impact landing (like from a roof or out a coupe story high window or something) fire one?? What about extreme heat? I always figured those were myths, but I guess it's worth asking.
    I stored about 500 .22lr rounds in my gun safe over the summer, where it got extremely hot. Subconsciously, I pointed the rounds down where they'd have to go through two layers of steel to get out of the safe, but I did it kind of without really thinking about it. Regardless, nothing happened.

So anyway, how do you guys store your ammo, what are safe storage tips (without compromising security; I have 2 kids that are still learning and may be dangerously curious if they could find it)? Anyone ever hear of a round actually discharging accidentally without being in a chamber?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i figure that it would take something to actually strike the firing part of the round at the back of the shell like a firing pin would within a firearm..still, if you keep them locked up in a safe, you really shouldnt have any problems..

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The reason about the USMC advice is if the grunt gets hit by a round and it hits the ammo the grunt is carrying, if the rounds are primer out, the incoming round may hit the primer and now there's two rounds through the grunt. Also, grunts have to crawl around a lot and can you imagine dropping to the ground and landing on a rock and it hits the primer? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Store ammo in a cool, dry place. Another thing to think about is for the ones who keep a gun ready with a mag loaded. The magazine springs are compressed while loaded and over time, the spring can lose tension and you can have a jam cause the round didn't load right.

Haven't been on top of it lately, but I usually rotate magazines in my ready gun, so I don't run into spring tension problems.

4. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

if a round goes off while not in a barrel the bullet dont go shooting. the round will just explode like a little bomb, shrapnel would be your biggest concern and wouldnt matter what direction the slug is pointed.

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The reason we do that is to ID what mags have ammo and which ones dont at night or times when silence is required, you have to remembere that they might give you plenty of rounds but without a mag youve reduced yourself to having a bolt action weapon. I have been standing by alot rounds that are set off in a fire, without a chamber to hold the presure and a barrel to direct the round it just goes POP and everybaody starts pointing fingures at who got the firewood /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

old army surplus ammo cans work nice

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    The reason we do that is to ID what mags have ammo and which ones dont at night or times when silence is required, you have to remembere that they might give you plenty of rounds but without a mag youve reduced yourself to having a bolt action weapon. I have been standing by alot rounds that are set off in a fire, without a chamber to hold the presure and a barrel to direct the round it just goes POP and everybaody starts pointing fingures at who got the firewood /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know, is that SOP? I always carried my mags upside down to prevent crap getting into the mag, especially water (Hawaii, lots of rain). Also, we would tab some tape or a small loop of rope so we could pull them out easier. The empties I would always turn right side up and keep in the same mag pouch once I got to the point I could do it...........

8. sapper

You never had to deal with LBVs or MOLLE gear though, the duece gear of you time didnt have everything stuck to you chest. To be completly honest every Plt Sgt has thier own "way" to do things, to be easy a magazine with the rounds pointing out means its good to shoot at the enemy, a magazine with the rounds facing in means you have allready shoot out of that one and a upside down magazine means its completly empty. We have been teaching to reload when you can and thats its actually a bad thing to run a magazine empty because that wont be a good time to try and reload, anytime you have a pause in action put in a new one even if you only fired 4-5 rounds, 30 is better than 25, plus it promotes magazine retention

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    You never had to deal with LBVs or MOLLE gear though, the duece gear of you time didnt have everything stuck to you chest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no. When I got to Ft. Stewart, I was issued that LBV thing. It stayed in my wall locker during my whole stay. I had a love affair with the old LBE.

[ QUOTE ]
    To be completly honest every Plt Sgt has thier own "way" to do things, to be easy a magazine with the rounds pointing out means its good to shoot at the enemy, a magazine with the rounds facing in means you have allready shoot out of that one and a upside down magazine means its completly empty. We have been teaching to reload when you can and thats its actually a bad thing to run a magazine empty because that wont be a good time to try and reload, anytime you have a pause in action put in a new one even if you only fired 4-5 rounds, 30 is better than 25, plus it promotes magazine retention

[/ QUOTE ]

That magazine retention can bite you in the ass sometimes. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Law enforcement is hot on magazine unretention cause of a little bad gojo that happened to a couple of CHP officers years ago. When I was qualifying, I always had to keep my mind running on letting the magazine drop to the ground and leaving it. Hate getting my stuff dirty. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Pretty much apples and oranges when it comes to L.E. training and military training.

Hey, read an article the other day that the military is finally saying bye bye to the M-16, but the M-4 isn't going to be the replacement. What ya think, maybe we'll start carrying AK's? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sapper

I saw a picture of one the rifles that we might goto, looked like a freaking ray gun Buck Rodgers had. I will never understand why we have to change or upgrade weapons so much, if something works then keep it, but of course we all know that common sense is a uncommon virtue sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Ahh yes, the OICW (Objective Infantry Combat Weapon) with the low-light TV camera linked to a helmet-mounted screen, 30mm (IIRC) launcher firing guided rounds, and the batteries. I read somewhere that thing weighs like 20lbs and eats batteries like they're M&M's...

Given a choice between the M-16A2 and that OICW, I think I'd stick with the M-16.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So anyway, how do you guys store your ammo, what are safe storage tips

[/ QUOTE ] Leave it in the box that it came in. Maybe get a strong box with a lock on it. I usely use up all the ammo when I go out shooting. Don't buy more till I'm going out to kill nature again.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I store all my ammo, gunpowder, fireworks, and other explosives in US government surplus ammo cans usually locked up with my weapons. Works great.
    To keep my kids away from my weapons and stuff:
    I take them out and show them exactly what happens when bullets meet flesh. My .308 and A Canalope with a nice smiley face drawn on it works real well .
    "Kids. This is your head". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    "This, is your head on lead."
    BOOM!

The exploding melon sends the message home . /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So anyway, how do you guys store your ammo, what are safe storage tips

[/ QUOTE ] Leave it in the box that it came in. Maybe get a strong box with a lock on it. I usely use up all the ammo when I go out shooting. Don't buy more till I'm going out to kill nature again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you dont store enough to arm a squad incase the commies or alquida does an amphibious assault?

damn though I was normal

15. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I read a crazy article about rotating ammo in ready mags. Some guy was in ww2, had a service .45, and kept it in a locker. When he died, it had been there for 40+ years, same bullets in the same mags, in a locker. His son took it out, and took it to a range. He fired all 7 rounds without fail. I know you can never be too safe but I just thought it was pretty crazy that 40+ year old ammo in the same mag still functions perfectly. With that said I still rotate ammo and mags to be safe.

16. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[quote
    You mean you dont store enough to arm a squad incase the commies or alquida does an amphibious assault?

damn though I was normal

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so did I.......

17. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[quote

damn though I was normal

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so did I.......

18. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I keep ammo in the original package, inside my gun safe.
    I keep one magazine loaded, not in gun, in the gun safe.
    If I were to need it I could open the safe, insert the magazine, chmaber a round, and be ready pretty quickly. Plus I feel better knowing it's all locked up away from our three kids plus the numerous friends they bring over.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw a picture of one the rifles that we might goto, looked like a freaking ray gun Buck Rodgers had. I will never understand why we have to change or upgrade weapons so much, if something works then keep it, but of course we all know that common sense is a uncommon virtue sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap I've got problems............

Been giving a block of instruction on the CAR-15 tonight. It's been 8 years since I've been out, 9 years since I've broken one down and I've still got skill..............................

Too bad the lying mofo who shot it last said he cleaned it, if I knew him, I'd kick his ass /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

20. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's been 8 years since I've been out, 9 years since I've broken one down and I've still got skill..............................

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the way I was when I got my AR-10 last year. I took it apart and put it back together (minus the hand guards) with my eyes closed in about a minute on the first try and I hadn't touched a M-16 in 12 or 13 years and even then that wasn't my t/o weapon.