Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

storing diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Heavymetal, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is my understanding that if you store gasoline for extended periods of time that you must add octane or something of that nature to the gasoline to keep it useable. Is this true for diesel fuel as well? If so does anyone know how long you can store diesel before it goes bad or becomes unusable?

Thanks,
    Mike.

77'/87' 3/4 ton Burb, 400cu, sm465, np205, 14boltff, dana44, 4.10s, 35in BFG's.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes, diesel will go bad just like gas but maybe not as fast. You can smell the "varnish" in old diesel. 'Not sure what's out there to combat this. I would suggest checking a local Stanadyne Injection Pump rebuilder or maybe a larger local truck stop.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Bummer, I was hoping diesel was more stable than gas. Oh well, thanks for the info.

Mike.

77'/87' 3/4 ton Burb, 400cu, sm465, np205, 14boltff, dana44, 4.10s, 35in BFG's.

4. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

Fill your tank almost full so to cut down on condensation then add a diesel stablizer avaible at any tractor shop or big auto parts store. I have two older Mercedes diesels and use different additives to stop alge growth ,remove moisture, raise octane, and clean injectors. Find someone that works with diesel engines every day ,they can give you a wealth of information about the right additive for each fuel problem.....
    Mrivan.......