Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

storing my K5 to go protect the country.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Oct 3, 2002.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

Well im off to sea AGAIN. I just got back in May but the Navy doesnt care about that. Anyway I have to put my truck up for atleast 7 or 8 months. Anyone know what I should do to get it ready? I dont have anyone to start it or drive it for me. Its going to be sitting outside. I know to get a truck cover, some jack stands to keep it off its tires, change the oil, and get some moth balls so the critters dont come in. What about the gas? I know gas can go bad after a while. Anything else I should do?

LMK
    Nick
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

When you get back, before you start it, drain the tank and get fresh gas for it.

And BTW THANK YOU!!!! If I was close enough, I'd be more than happy to let you store it in my garage. For the service that you are providing to MY country, I would be more than happy to help. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

ok thanx

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

put some of that sta-bil in your gas tank, that stuff really works, we use it on our 4 stroke lawn mowers and our atvs because they sit for a while during winter, or have someone start it up like once a week for you, someone you trust!, maybe bleed the brakes to get all the moisture out of them lines, put a big dust cover on it, change the oil, not much else i can think of at the moment, have a happpy time at sea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Fair winds and following seas Brother.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Put a gas stabilizer in a full tank of gas. It will keep it good for several months. Make sure right before you park the truck it has been fully warmed up to get the moisture out of the crankcase and exhaust pipes.

I have also heard of pouring oil down the carb until it stalls as a way to get a slight coat of oil on the valves and pistons. I cant remember if that would cause a problem with gumming up everything though. You can get a lot more good advice from the www.oldihc.org mailing list. A lot of the guys on there store their trucks over the winter (snowbank storage) and have alot of good advise.

7. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

ok thanx for all the info. ill go kill some rag heads for everyone. maybe ill write a note on a bomb from here to all the raggies out there. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif