Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Storing tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FOR MUD, Oct 14, 2006.

1. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whats the best way for long term storage of tires? Mounted and inflated? Dis mounted? I've Got mine In a storage shed, dismounted and standing up . Is there anything else I can do?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would lay them on their side and have them not mounted. This will give the least amount of stress to the tire.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the military says the best way to store a tire is i upright, and uninflated, in a rack

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

x2 as thats the way 90% of all tire places do it.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I've also heard/read that a tire should only support it's own weight, meaning you shouldn't stack them 4 high laying on the sidewalls

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

good advice....

I would store them in a dark place if possible..UV rays make them check and crack rather quickly...We had to toss some brand new snow tires at my friends shop that stood in the rack for years--the sun beat on them daily,the ones closest to the window had a really dry rotted section,only where the sun hit them every day!..(they popped when we tried mounting and inflating them!:eek1: )..still had the stickers on them..:(

I'd not leave them on dirt or on the ground either--it seems to encourage dry rot too..one book I read says to store them on their side,in a wooden box,to keep light out..(but its a real old book,tires have improved a lot since 1935!)..:crazy:

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Up right, is what I was told by Interco. I would also coat them in some type of armor all, should help from dry rotting too.

8. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Do not coat them with Armor-All, or any other petroleum based product. Oils, and their by-products begin to break down the rubber compounds, and cause premature failure. This is the reason tire shops use soapy water to mount/dismount tires. Silicone spray also is safe to use as a lubricant.
    If you must coat or clean tires, especially for show purposes, use Diet Coke--leaves them shiny and new looking, but not sticky.