Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Story on Eaton and Rockcrawler wheels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 6, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I guess I can't buy the EA589's 8 lug. Now I have to either go with the Eatons, or Rockcrawler(if 8 lug available). Anyone use Eaton's before and are they any good? I know that they will rust and I don't want that. I'm kind of pissed now.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for 8-lug, 15" wheels you are pretty much stuck with steel wheels. I have heard that Weld makes some custom aluminum versions but they were very expensive.
    For the Eatons and RockCrawlers, there are guys in our club with both (all are painted versions, no chrome) and no problems with either. The Eaton's do seem to be stronger based on the thickness and weight and might be better suited for large trucks, though I don't think you should have any problems with either. One thing to double check is the backspacing available on them. I would recommend no more than 3.5" of backspacing (4" backspacing makes it more difficult to fit on 8 lug fronts).

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry about the quality. I've heard only good things about the Eatons. To my knowledge, they are powder-coated so the finish is tough. I have American Racing black steelies (rockcrawlers) and they are powder-coated as well, and the finish is great. I'm also looking to get some 15X10 8 lugs for when I do my axle swap to a Dana 44/14 bolt. I like the look of the American Racing wheels but I don't think they make them in 8 lug. Keep in mind there is a difference between a wheel that is painted and one that is powder-coated.

4. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

The chrome on the Eatons sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! When we got my set, one wheel had the chrome peeling off. The otheresw were soon to follw. They gave me a new whell for the bad one, then said they don'y warranty chrome. They sucked a few months later.

Drive it Like You Hate It!

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

I own 15x14 black rockcrawlers. The only beef I got with them is after wheeling some river beds I got tons of scuff marks all through the inside from burying them in peagravel.

MY K-5 DOESN'T LEAK... IT JUST MARKS ITS TERRITORY.

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

The black paint on the Eatons suck as well. I bought 4- 15x10 black Eatons from National Tire & Wheel back in July. When I received them, 3 out of 4 had runs in the paint. I called and compained and they said "Sorry, do you want to return them?" After waiting almost a month and half, I surely did not want to return them. They gave me a whopping discount of $6.00 per wheel. I figured "What the hell, I would be thrashing them hard in the creek beds soon enough anyway." Remember, the company "Eaton" doesn't really exist. It is a just a name that National uses to sell the same type of wheel that Bart's makes. I will say that the wheels are made heavy duty and do run true though.........

7. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I had 6-lug 15x10 rockcrawlers before my axle swap and now I have 15x10 8-lugs and I love them, they hold up well and the paint holds up pretty good.

With the 15" weld 8-lugs you would have to use a driveshaft mounted brakeing system.

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've had 15 x 10 American Racing White spokes for about 5 years now, first on my 3/4 ton Dana 44 and 14 bolt w/13" drums and now on my Dana 60 and disk brake 14 bolt. They have standard, 4-1/8" backspacing. No, you don't need driveshaft mounted brakes. I've beat the hell out of these wheels, and I had beadlocks put on them about 2-1/2 years ago. They ain't pretty but they work, and were $36 each at Discount tire when I bought them.

I've also got a set of chrome mods the same size for my 35 muds (street tires). These were made by Tech, but I've heard they no longer make them. I know two buddies in town that recently purchased the same size rims (one for a Cherokee and the other for a straight axle '93 Chevy). One got chrome spokes, the other chrome mods. They wheels are available, but you may have to look.

I prefer the 4-1/8" backspacing as it makes it easier to steer and there is less fender contact and less wear on the front end.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

9. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    http://www.mrtrockcrawlers.com/
    You can thank me later.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>