Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Straight 6?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Nov 28, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a straight 6 in their k5?

A guy is offering one for 50 bucks, hear it run, to use in my k5 till feb when new motor arrives......

Says all i need to get it a powersteering bracket...

Anyone?

th400/203/4.10/35's

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i dont have one in MY truck, but stepdad has one in his 69 pickup--all i can say is RELIABLE. that truck will sit literally for a year at a time and everytime---squish, squish, squish on the gas, turn the key and after 2 cranks it starts like it was yesterday that we left it. It has actually towed his 95 grand cherokee on a few occasions /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif....it's not a real powerhouse but it will get you around and save on the gas.

3. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i know greywolf has one in his 82 k10, you can ask him /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

LMFAO@ SCOOBYDAN"S cat picture! LOL! Thats cool dude....Is that your cat?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do it. My buddy has a 250 High Torque I-6 in his 66 Chevy Longbed Stepside pickup. It runs well. (New motor is out of a mid 80's & has HEI, and the old one was original) Both motors run strong. They would probably work well in a K5. His 66 would almost outrun my K5 before some of my mods. But now with the 4.56 gears and my light motor work he can't keep up as well, let alone beat me. And as mentioned before, they are VERY reliable. His old motor was original from 66, and was only reringed once. Everything else was factory original.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v built some very good running straight 6s. Some that put V8s to shame. Never been dissapointed in one.
    Check out these guys for performance parts:
    cliffordperformance.com

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

my only complaint about sixes is that they run so smooth and arent loud, but they are very reliable, its very hard to kill one, they have little hp but good torque for what size they are, some nice 4.10 or 4.56 makes up for lack of hp and you dotn have problems pulling anything, they put these sixes in the old 1 tons all the time even the grain trucks, ive had two so far, a 67 dually with 250 and a 68 dually with 292, theyll do all you want them to do plus more very easily with that 4 speed low granny gear ratio. its all about the axle ratio /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

good luck

8. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Straight six's are very reliable I had one in my 61 Apache it was a 235. I never had any problems with it at all. It ran good and got great gas mileage.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go for it !!!! Inline 6's make pleanty of torque, but are lacking in the hp. I had one in an old 69 Chevy pick-up with a 3 on the tree. Just had to down shift on some hills if I didn't get a running start first. My father had an old Buick with a inline 8. I think it was called the fireball 8 if memory is correct. Now that was a torque monster.

10. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

go for it...

heres a good website for reference : www.inliners.org

my dream is to throw a 292 I have currently in a '70 stepside into a '70 Blazer...you want to talk about a torque-monster! (there was a reason you could get them 292's in dump trucks and the other "big" trucks)

Also look that inliners website or Amazon.com for Leo Santuci's book on 6 cylinder engines...very informative. You can tweak about 343 HP out of a 292 very easily! More than that if you wanted to run race fuel.

most people don't understand what can be done with an I6. I read that the reason you don't see them in stock car racing isn't because they were too slow, it's because the guys with the V-8's were losing to them too much back in the '60's ! Over 1200 HP isn't unheard of with an inline. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

GM came out with a new 4.2 I6 in the trailblazers and envoys. It's supposedly putting out 275 hp and 275 lbs. Not too bad for a stock engine. My 4.3 V6 is putting out about 200 hp.

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a 250 in an '81 shorty K10 once. Damn good and reliable motor. I tried so hard to kill it so I had an excuse to install a SBC, but just could not do it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif That's how good these motors are.
    Since my shorty K10 was lighter in weight, and it ran a 465 with 3.73 gears, that 250 got me 18 mpg on the highways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I miss this truck and wished I'd never sold it, as I definitely know I would be driving it everyday, today. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'll verify that. My mom's got a new TBlazer with the 4.2 I6 and it whips! Doesn't seem to have a rev limiter on it either because i got it turning at 6500 before it shifted and it didn't seem to bother it. IMO, I6's are excellent engines.

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I beg to differ on the not loud comment. My buddies 66 Chevy is fairly loud. His straight 6 sounds better then alot of V8's. Most people ask him what he has in it a 327 or what. Not to mention his staight 6 will beat alot of V8's as his 6 has dual exhaust, MSD, and HEI.

15. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

hey wes, if we ever meet you can drive mine just for the flash back.clifford is comming out with fi for i6,you can push 300-400 horses with i6, sbc chevy rods,pistons,4 barrel
    carbs.they dont go fast but they do go and go /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    my truck will be on the road thursday!

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I know where my old '81 shorty K10 is at now. I've even called the guy and told him about who I was and owned that truck. I asked him, for kicks, if he would be interested in selling it back to me and he said it was possible. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thing is, he removed the short bed and installed a dog box, took out the 250 and installed a SBC of some size that he says gets him 7 mpg. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now you guys have me thinking that I'm gonna call him and see if he wants to sell it now. Gonna see about the price and if he will throw the shorty bed back on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Of course, if I do get it, the first thing I'm doing is finding another 250 and probably rebuild it with Clifford parts! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

250 non itegral, Dont!!! get the integral pos boat anchor
    clifford doesn't make parts:headers,intake
    intake and head 1 pc