Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Straight axel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryanvz1, Mar 21, 2004.

1. ryanvz1

ryanvz1 Registered Member

Alright I was wandering why almost all trucks are going to IFS when the straight axel is obviously the best. Look at how much jeep is making off of it.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

On-road ride characteristics...what 99% of the buyers care about.

3. ryanvz1

Yea, but look at how many gay jeeps there are that go off-road. If Gm would sell a newer k-10 truck with a dana-44 up front, 12-bolt rear, th-350, and 350 motor, it would sell very fast. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yea, but look at how many gay jeeps there are that go off-road. If Gm would sell a newer k-10 truck with a dana-44 up front, 12-bolt rear, th-350, and 350 motor, it would sell very fast. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure as hell wouldn't buy it,,, /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. ryanvz1

You really can't go wrong with that set-up stock though.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm willing to bet that the GM trucks(including GMC and Chevy) make more money than Jeep does for Daimler-Chrysler. And I'm also willing to bet that GM would take a dive if they tried to sell a 350/350 44/12 combo... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

IMO, it's the same thing as a 10 bolt front and rear.

And naturally those would be the first things to be replaced.

8. ryanvz1

Yeah but the 10-bolt is alot weaker along with there 700R4 tranny's. Along with any other overdrive tranny.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think a truck like that would be great for guys who work construction or people who need a work truck to haul crap around and beat up on. But, if it rides like crap and looks even worse, no one's going to buy it unless it costs significantly less than the pickups out there today. And, let's face it, with the engineering involved and the new standards for emissions and safety, the vehicle would still be upwards of $25,000.

And, even if that were to be in production...it may sell quite a few vehicles, but obviously not enough to make it worth a company's troubles...otherwise they'd be doing it right now.

Also, with the stuff you listed, it would not be adequately suited for hard-core wheeling so guys like us would still be laying on our driveways getting our hands dirty swapping out drivetrain components.

10. ryanvz1

Yea that is true, just a thought.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shortbox, crew cab, 10.5" 14 bolt FF, D60 front, optional Detroit rear, 8.1 liter (or Duramax), 4L80E (or Allison or 6 speed), and a 4:1 low range T-case. Gearing optional down to 5.13. Tire sizes up to 37"...

When that becomes avaialble I'll buy a new truck...

If you're gonna dream, dream one ton.

Rene

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah but the 10-bolt is alot weaker along with there 700R4 tranny's. Along with any other overdrive tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

More B.S.

10 bolts and 12 bolts are damn near the same thing, not exactly, but close.

700r4 is not a weak trans, thats all the further i am going to go with that one, i'm tired of arguing with people who think they are.

Once AGAIN, i will mention,,,,,209,000 miles on my 700r4 without a rebuild, and nothing really broke, just slipping clutches. Which is the same thing any other trans will do.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Tell you what , convince the masses ( ain't gonna happen my friend )that they need to be in cars and station wagons like in the old days and to quit buying trucks and Blazer wannabes, and then convince everyone else to buy only Super Duty's and 1 ton Dodge's, and THEN you would see a straight axle Chevy truck once again. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif The general population ruined it for us. First the mini-van killed the station wagon, then Soccer-Moms ( soccer ain't AMERICAN ) started buying OUR trucks. We can't stop it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW I mean you no disrespect, this is just a harsh reality /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Shortbox, crew cab, 10.5" 14 bolt FF, D60 front, optional Detroit rear, 8.1 liter (or Duramax), 4L80E (or Allison or 6 speed), and a 4:1 low range T-case. Gearing optional down to 5.13. Tire sizes up to 37"...

When that becomes avaialble I'll buy a new truck...

[/ QUOTE ]

and i'll be in line right behind you... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

why when you can build it for 30 grand less? /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My parents wanted one of those too. So they got a 1975 crew cab shortened it, kept the 454, put in OD, a shortbox, 6" lift, 35" nittos and there, a gas guzzlen' one ton that can do a lot more for a lot less than anything new (like avoid emissions /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif)

If ford offered an F350 in a 2 door short bed I would probably be in one. (not the same but next closest thing with a warrenty)

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    If ford offered an F350 in a 2 door short bed I would probably be in one

[/ QUOTE ]

They do , or they did. I saw one on the way to work on Mckellips east of Scottsdale rd. I also see them occasionally in the 4x4 mags. Base work truck models, solid colors , rubber mats etc. Could of been a f-250 SuperDuty /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Well at least it was SFA . I wouldn't buy the ford ( my blood is Chevy Orange ), but Ford and Dodge ( 1 ton only ) are all thats left for domestic SFA truck with a warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif