Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Straight axle boys, steering questions?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sled_dog, Mar 9, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What do you guys do for steering setups? $650 for a crossover from ORU is a bit much for my liking. Looking at a 1990 Dually with an SM465 2wd. Figure divorecd TCase and a dana 44 or 60 up front, either custom or ORU SFA conversion would.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ORU doesn't make kits for 2wd to 4wd. Anyway, I went with all the ORD stuff...

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I sent them an email asking guess that is my answer. Think it would be difficult to shadetree myself a 2wd to 4wd setup? Are you just basing that since it doesn't specifically say its for 2wds? I mean it could work and they just don't say it since you would need a new tcase as well.

4. willyswanter

Well first of all, is this the 73-87 body style or the 88-98 body style? I ask because 1 ton crew cabs were the older style till 91 and you didn't specify. If you have the older style they don't make any kind of kit for your truck, the sfa conversion kit is for the 88-98 trucks. I've been to there shop numerous times and discussed this vary thing. I had a 95 2wd and there kit absolutely will not work on a 2wd, but they are developing a kit for the 2wd's but it's no where near ready... Last I saw they had the front half of a frame with I think one bracket hanging off of it... If your truck is the newer body style it's quite a job doing the conversion. The engine crossmember is really in the way and has to be cut out and replaced with something smaller. Other than that you have to make the brackets which isn't too bad.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It is a new style 1990 2wd. Hmm What is the cross member in the way of? I mean if you lift it high enough I don't see what it would be bothering? Either way I think it will be a good buy, blue book is $5500, I was thinking if I converted it to single rear wheel I could put flared besdies on it cause it would cost less to do that than it would to buy a whole new bed. The transition years are fuzzy I have seen both new style and old styles in that year. Hmm well worst case I could keep my K5 as a trail rig and use the dually as a daily driver. I know I have seen 2wd converted to 4x4 enw body styles, one was featured in Four Wheeler magazine a couple months ago.

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 4wd that I did a SAS, and used a GM three peice tie rod, shortened and used stock draglinks. Got the D60 crossover arm for a ORU, but I think that you can make one alot cheaper. I you go to ORU website, and go to the rides section they did a dually SAS, and that was 2wd. I got the kit from them, and while it's a good kit, on the expensive side. I think that I could have made it for far less, but then again, what do I know. If you go high enough then you wouldn't have to worry about the cross member, but that will be pretty high, think too high for off camber off roading. I have a divorced case in mine, cause didn't feel like spending $300 + for a front shaft. Can use 1350 u-joints with no CV.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am thinking 6" springs or maybe 8". They say the brackets give you about 2" of lift alone. I am not seeing this dually 2wd, anyone have a link?

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

SAS dually

the article says its a 4wd, but I could have sworn when I called them that they said it was 2wd. sorry if I mislead yah. But you can still put do SAS in your truck. A guy here name Zonkrat (I think) did that to his truck, cheap, simple and gets the job done. his was 4wd to start....

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I saw his he made the mounts and all. WEll I have to see how the truck goes and what my dad says. He was encouraging me to get a 67 or 68 chevy and convert it to 4wd, but those things just don't look good lifted. In my opinion anyway.

10. willyswanter

Thats a 4wd dually. You can tell by the brackets on the frame from the old IFS stuff. Theres no coil buckets for one thing...

Anyway, yeah, you would have to lift it way high to clear the crossmember. What hits is the diff. Even with 6-8" springs your more than likely going to go hit. The factory crossmember is easily modified though.

Doing an SFA swap on a truck with 4wd already is way easier than on a 2wd. There are numerous clearance issues, custom bracketry, transfer case and shifters, etc... Still can be done, and is done often, it's just more involved than a 4wd.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my biggest worry is steering, everything else I am certain I can handle if I just take my time.

12. willyswanter

Steering is easy, pitman arm from ORD, steering arm from ORD, get a draglink between them and your set. The stock box already turns left to right so your set for crossover.

13. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Been gone for couple days or would have got iinto this sooner.Not sure how 2WD crossmember is made,but,it should be doable.I moved the axle foreward about 1 1/2in for fender clearance and cut the bumper to clear front.Total lift is bout 6in and I haven't had any probs with the diff hitting anything,plenty of room under oilpan.Be realy careful when measureing,make sure to stay square with rest of frame.I may have just got lucky cause everything worked fist try except crossover.Took couple remakes to get rid of bumpsteer.I'll be glad to send better pics if you decide to go ahead with this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif