Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Straight axle conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cojnit, Feb 25, 2003.

1. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

I currently have 2 trucks and am thinking about making them one. The first would be the axle donor, a '76 3/4 ton. the second is a '95 2 door tahoe (IFS) I am thinking about taking the axles off of the pick-up and putting them on the tahoe. Has anyone does this? what was the experience like? ORW wants to charge like $800 beans for a conversion kit, is this reasonable?

Any help would be great.

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

while never having done it my self it seems pretty straight forward. and does that kit include any thing for the T-case? its not on the same side as the earlier truck.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you will need to get an adaptor to put the 205 transfer case out of the 3/4ton into the tahoe. The ORW kit is designed to be used with the stock case and a ford front axle which has the driver side pumpkin. They can probably hook you up with what you need. You need to remember that you will need a new suspension kit to go with that $800 kit as well you need to convert to cross over steering with that kit which is not included in that price. Figure another $600 for the crossover(ORWs pricing) and about 400+ for the lift.

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Check out my pics in members rides,Shade Tree SFA swap,It's not as slick as kits,but,it works really well and not counting the axle it only cost about 450$. [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifDid it all myself too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Can't help much on T-case as I used Ford axle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's ORU not, orw... Anyway, I used there bracket set and wa very pleased with them. They went in just as described and I think 740 is very reasonable when you look at how they are a proven design plus it spared you all the research and design work. As stated you will have to get an adapter to fit the 205 to your 4l60e and have to rig up something to make the t-case shifter work since it's on the wrong side in the stock truck. Heres my info:

http://www.industrialoffroad.com/sfaswap.htm

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I would spend the money on the brackets myself.

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

You might be able to cut the shifter in half and Weld a Bar across the case at an angle and weld the shifter to it so it stays on the stock side for shiftin.......in other words get a FORD Hipinion D60 front axle or the ORU kit. just think how much a IFS susp. lift would cost then the 740 plus other cost to see what would be cheaper and what would have the better advantage to what you want to do and wheel. I like the Ground clearnce of the IFS and mostly mud and hill climbing and running over flipped over hondas. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

See if you have the rears its cheaper for the lift dependent upon the amount. 6" springs with the ORU kit puts you at 8" of lift. That was the setup I wanted when I was looking at an ifs truck. If you add ni the cost of a ford front axle the kit will cost about the same as a real good 6" IFS lift or 10" IFS lift whcih I don't think will clear tires as well.

9. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

The ORU kit is sweet as far as SFA swaps go. We did one at work recently with a H/P D60 and the brackets lined up perfectly. Was actually faster to do a Sfa conversion than a 6 inch IFS lift. If you got the cash, go with ORU. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've been involved wtih IFS lifts, taking the stuff out is the easy part everything else is horrible so the ide of removing it and never puting it back is godly to me.

11. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

anybody think that a 203 would make a difference? This is what the donor truck is running. and is everyone basically saying that I need a F*rd front end, and that the one I have is not going to help?

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you can, get a 241 with an electric speed sensor and a passenger side drop. That way it will bolt in to your tranny and you can use the front axle of your other truck. Although you might have to do some stuff to make sure the driveshaft clears everything.

13. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I spent about $1800 on my swap and did all my own labor.$1400 of this was for the HP D60,the rest for parts and material.If you can afford it the ORU stuf is prob. the easiest way to do it.Theres a lot of good enginering behind it.I'm happy with the way mine turned out,but,some of it was trial & error.Still fine tuning some stuff.I think I'd look for a 241 t-case,might save some work there on speedometer and such.Do you have D44 or D60 front axle?Might look for HP D44 from 77--79 leafspring Ford,they are a little stronger than reg.44. and not as expensive as 60 if you don't need the strength.The HP style helps driveline angles and will work with existing t-case.Good luck,I'll be glad to help if I can. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif