Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Straight axle swap on an 89 GMC Heavy Half ton. Need info...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am looking at a 89 GMC Heavy half ton(six lugger with a 14SF rear).... The front needs bearings where the CV shaft enter the carrier housing and a CV boot. The truck has about 140K on it..

Are SAS(Straight Axle Swaps) that hard? Anyone do one on a similar truck and can offer advise and any problems you ran inot? I would put a D44 from a Ford under it for now...
    I know ORU makes a kit for this, but I dont want to spend the money and I bet they want a pretty penny for it..

Any advise????

BTW, it has a lift on it now.. It is either a Superlift kit or an Explorer.... About 4-6"..

Thanks!

2. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

It's not hard at all if you use the ORU kit it just takes a little time. If you fab your own brackets obviously it's going to be a tougher job. Most of the people I've talked to that tried to fab their own brackets ended up buying the ORU brackets any way. With the ORU brackets really all you need to know is how to use a drill, a pitman arm puller, and some kind of cutting device.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That does make it look alot easier. I think I may fix the IFS for now and then once I get my garage set-up, I will go with the ORU SAS kit and crossover steering...