Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

straight exaust manifolds

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Apr 26, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i am ditching the headers on my engine in favor of the stock exaust manifolds, the muffler shop is about 10miles away, would i be ok to drive with straight manifolds straight to the muffler shop without worrying about screwing anything up?

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

why are you ditching the headers?

you will lose a good 15-30 ft lbs of torque if you had any sort of decent headers on there..

3. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i am willing to ditch the power, just because the wife is driving it and im really getting sick of replacing collector gaskets and the upper ones too, i just want some trouble free functionallity on it. does anyone know if i will be ok to drive it 1 way to the exaust shop?

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As long as you have manifolds on you will be fine.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Just be sure that nothing is near the outlets that can catch on fire. It won't hurt the engine to run it like that.

On a side note, I have headers and have never had any leaks. I use exhaust manifold gaskets to seal them to the heads and I had the collectors cut off and the exhaust pipes welded directly to the headers.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i did the same thing and no leaks at all 3 years or so.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

headers arent all they are cracked up to be and are more of a pain than anything else, leaking problems, rusting out problems, law and inspection probolems and so forth, screw headers less its some off road only or race track vehicle or soemthing

no problem driving with open headers just drive it easy dont get on it, take your time driving, keep RPM's down

no problem

it will be loud and wierd sounding so be aware shut if off and pull over roll to a stop if any cops appear out of no where,

i would probably borrow a tow bar or trailer if at all possible for a few bucks or a case of beer from someone

good luck

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nah, just take backroads. :)

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

ya gotta run copper gaskets dude and use lock washers on the hedder bolts,
    and yes you will be fine just don't burn the truck up.....

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It fun!!!

I drove a 74 C10 to a midas muffler shop with NO manifolds!!--I dont reccomend it!--you at least need manifolds!...when I got to the Midas shop only 2 miles away,the rubber flaps stapled to the inner fenders were smoking,ready to burst into flames any second! :yikes: --the guys eyes at the redlight next to me was memorable- :eek1: :eek1: --he said "hey--you have flames shooting out from under the tires!!"-

-I thought it was just flames from the exhaust ports on the heads,so I goosed it and made a big racket,with a cool backfire when I let off the gas!--about 300 ft later when I pulled into Midas's parking lot,they came running out with a fire extingusher,but luckily nothing was burning-YET!--a few seconds longer and I bet it would have!...but I would not be scared of driving with ONLY manifolds as long as nothing nearby can be ignited..without them,I'd tow it! :crazy:

11. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I am in the same boat, I got sick of headers. Leaking, in the way of the starter, louder, harder to get to the plugs, etc. Sorry, but you can keep your 15HP, I have plenty to spare with 425!! But hey, I also went with bone stock dodge van mufflers too and I STILL can't hear my wife talking on the highway. Wait, that might be a good thing.