Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

straight fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnathan, Feb 11, 2006.

1. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

anybody here runnin a straight fan,no clutch.I have just replaced mine last week hoping it will help with cooling this summer.

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly what I run and my rad is stock from a 89 burb, winter and summer she always runs at 200 deg. and that includes crawling in 100 deg. + temp's here in the desert.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the stock fan was *working correctly* it won't help at all, assuming same fan dimensions/blade count/angle.

Engine temp is regulated by the thermostat, no matter how fast or how often you turn the fan, you can't keep the engine colder than the thermostat temp. If the fan is turning while the thermostat is closed, you are wasting engine output, most noticeably while the vehicle is moving.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i have run a straight driven fan a few times, and REALLY hated it.

the noise and and engine drag created is very bad, it did help with keeping things alittle cooler, but that was also when i had a bad radiator.

My opinion,,"it sucks":p:

just fix the cooling system with either a bigger or newer radiator and new thermostat.

5. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

well i had installed a 3 row radiater and it cools fine as long as I'm movin along,but if I'm creepin around the temp wants to climb on up I have a lower temp thermostat and tranny cooler.It just scares me when it goes to climben,thought a straight fan would help a little

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like the fan clutch is just worn out. I replaced the one on my Sub last summer and the difference was VERY obvious. It now kicks the fan on while idling in traffic with the A/C running, and I can really notice the loss in power when the fan is engaged. I wouldn't want it to be "on" all the time.

7. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I have the orignal fan on my 63 impala 327, I don't care much for it. I wish I had something better, but takes away from originality.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

do you have a fan shroud installed? and what size thermostat are you running?

9. dyeager535

And what kind of temp are we talking about?

No, it shouldn't "climb up" past around 195*, but if you've got a lower temp thermostat, you'll likely have a hard time keeping it at the rated temp at idle.

10. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

according to my guage it opens around 150 yeah I have a shroud on there

11. dyeager535

Well, the gauges should be used only as a relative measure unless the accuracy has been confirmed. If you are certain it's 150*, then climbing even 50* isn't hurting anything. But 150* is way too low IMO, I'd suspect the gauge is at least a bit off as 150* t-stats, if they exist, can't be real common. :) 160* is the most common low temp stat you'll see.

A cooler t-stat is a band-aid fix for an idle cooling issue, fan (and ambient temp + cooling system efficiency) is what keeps idle temp what it is.

12. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

I don't remember what temp the stat was,but I do remember it was the lowest one available at Advance.If I'm creepin through the trail in warm weather it will climb up around 210(by my gauge).Not at all worried about engine,just tranny.I have installed a cooler,not a huge one,so 210 makes me a bit worried.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The only times i personally have had problems with creeping temps like that when idling, crawling, or or whatnot, was either cause by a bad clutch not engaging, or the radiator was old, and several if not most of the rows were rusted shut and not allowing for full flow.

I DO still have this problem now, even with the brand new heavy duty fan clutch, and 4 row radiator, but i am certain it is because i have yet to find the correct fan shroud for it.......running without it at the moment.

Only heats up on the trails though, hasn't done it on the street driving in traffic yet.