Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Straight pipe on a 6.2?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by shaun, Jun 10, 2005.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Any body done this? how does it sound? Or would it sound better with the 2 flowmaster single chamber 40's I have? Please give me opinions. I am thinking dual 3" if I straight pipe it. If I do the flowies it will be 2.5 to the mufflers (right after tcase) the 3" from there and possiblt 2 tips I dont know yet.

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

mine has very old glass packs on it, I'd say its straight piped. They're quiet at idle, but loud as hell when you get into it. Its fun passing ppl on the interstate, for some reason I feel like a big redneck :D

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

ps.
    My buddy straight pipd his furd with a 7.3 n/a. It was quiet at idle as well, but sounded pretty sweet when he took off. It was the stock single pipe, just took out the muffler.

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

thanks I think I am going to run the 40's

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I must be getting old, cause I used to like the straight pipe sound but anymore it's just to damn anoying :)

6. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

I've got 2 Delta Force 40's with a crossover and 3 inch pipes all the way and I think it is too loud. I wish I'd have gotten more input on the muffler selection but I'm in a pretty limited market. It's hard to talk in the cab other than going downhill in overdrive! :crazy:

7. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

i'de go 40's

I cut just one of my mufflers off of my jimmy and ran it like that for 3 weeks and it sounded obnoxious and trashy, but when you revved it up in the parking lot people thought it was a dragster. i went with 3' in/out flow 40's with 3 inch turn downs over the axle and get complements everyday from people. Even the old gear heads, they always ask what i did to my big block, and i just say it's an old stock diesel. I love the sound of my truck and everybody knows i'm coming from miles away. good luck with your choice!

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I've heard a CUCV with straight pipes and it sounds like a top-fuel dragster. Very lopey sounding idle. I like it though.