Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Straight six in a K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Snyiper, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Snyiper

Snyiper Registered Member

Was there ever one offered and how was it performance wise?
    Glenn

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes the straight 6 was offered, so was a column shift 3 speed manual.

I'm guessing it was on the slow side performance wise.

Rene

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Was there ever offered ... it was only the base engine through, heck, the early 80's maybe?

Get thee to http://brochures.slosh.com/ and have a looksee.

Mind you, all the Blazers I've ever seen were loaded, at least to the point of having a V8, so I've never actually seen an I6 in one :D I gather they are quite the stump-pulling torque monsters, but don't have the high end of the V8.

-- A

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

While I haven't owned a k5 with a straight six, when I was being intoduced to 4wheeling it my in my buddy's 82 K10 with a 258, 4sp, 208, 3.73 geared 10 bolts, and 33" sidewinder mud tires. I remember it being a good trail truck even though it wasn't big on power.

5. Snyiper

Well getting older the speed isnt as much a issue any longer, I do prefer torque over speed. With the upward rise of fuel I think the six with a few parts could hold its own on the trail. Ive always been a nonconformist and eveyone has a 8 so I was wondering if a six and even a auto like the 400r could be made to work?
    Glenn

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If you're looking for mileage a straight 6 is not where its at. The mileage could be considered downright dismal when compared to even a 350.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Not sure about a 250 ever coming with a TH400 (kinda doubt it) but the 292/TH400 combo was available in 1 ton trucks.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

yes I had one.. I ordered it new in 69... it was a 230 I-6/sm465/205... it had an optional 4 speed and p/s, and hd suspension, and that was it... all manual /standard options

it was great on gas ... fine for four wheeling with stock skinny 15 inch tires
    but no good for towing or long highway... but I was a kid so for me it was the best thing on two wheels... iirc it was 3195.00 plus tax and reg... came to like 3500 or something...
    I drove it until it was a rust bucket... I plowed with it for awhile...

there werent many 230/250 version k trucks made
    there was never a "258" motor ... that was an amc number

new cj5 v6s were 2500
    gas was 29 cents

duck and cover was the school word for the day

those were some fun times

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

*coughs* old fart *coughs* :D

A friend of mine swapped a 292 with an SM465 into his K5. Swap took more than he expected(made motor mounts vs buying some from a junkyard). THat thing is pretty ballsy. Fast... no, but torquey with the 465.

10. Snyiper

Ya know us old "cough" guys remember that a 292 with a lil forced induction would flat scare some v8's to death...LOL

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

heard of thats pretty cool. Makes me want to build like a 70s pickup with a straight six and some forced induction.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For outright fuel economy look into swapping a 6.2 diesel in. There are many diesel K5's getting 22-25 mpg when set-up right. I manage 16.5-17 mpg with mine but it's not really set-up for max fuel mileage. I don't have an overdrive, run 4.56's and 39.5" TSL's...

A NA diesel is also pretty non conformist...I pulled a reasonably healthy 355 out of mine in favor of the 6.2.

Rene

13. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Heck, this book I have by Leo Santuci says that bored .60 over, with a good cam, pistons and a 4 barrel intake, you can expect about 343 hp out of a 292. A few other mods, and racing fuel and you can get over 600 hp easily.

He talks about folks running 1200 hp L6's on the drag strips.

He also says the reason that you don't see the L6 in NASCAR, wasn't because they started losing to the v8 back in the day, but beacause the v8 guys were whining about losing to the L6's, so they outlawed them.

www.inliners.org is a good place for refrence

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

230 was a 67 motor

15. Snyiper

www.inliners.org is a good place for refrence[/QUOTE]

Dont think I want 600 hp but some bone chilling torque would be great even in the mud kind of like being the underdog. Hey look at the poor old guy with the straight six....lol.. I thought about the diesel but it seems a lil pricy and diesel is not getting cheaper. So far not quite enough to offset the straight six that no one wants. Id like to find one local for next to nothing already got the 7004r trans.
    Already a member of Inliners great people!!!
    Glenn

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

older sixes better!

I have owened a few chevy trucks with 6 cylinder motors--one was a 2wd 75 K5,it had the "integral head" single barrel carb version,my 79 C10 had a 250 -2 barrel version "Camel Humper" in it,so did my 81 G10 van...they all were converted to V8's,the 75 blew the masonite cam gear 50 miles from home,and I had a 307 out of a 71 burb,so I used that instead of fixing the six--the van I was just tired of having low power,and not being able to pull the hills at more than 50mph with its 3.08 gears--so in went a 73 307 I got from a chevelle--that motor had less power than the 250!--and the rear axle started clunking,so I put in another freebie I had,but it had 2.73 gears--now its a real dog!!.(but it will maintain 70mph once you get it there!)

.None of the sixes I've had got better mileage than the 307 and 305 motors I replaced them with--my C10 gets 3-4 more mpg with the 305 in it!--and it really takes off well compared to the six..A six is good for low end torque,but they run out of breath at high rpms,they would rather lug than scream(especially the 292 with its super long stroke)--but a local dirt track hero Bugsy Stevens won many championships using a 292 with a 4 bbl and a hot cam and headers in an old PV544 Volvo(the ones that resemble a VW beetle!)--he eventually put big blocks in them when the sixes got banned....a lot of guys were pissed when they saw they got beaten by a lowly inline six "granny" motor!!..

I think they used the inline sixes up until 84 or so,the 292 was used a few more years after that--I've seen a lot of C60 and school busses that had 292's in them,with 5 speed clark tranny's and a "brownie" auxillary tranny behind it--I guess if it aint got enough power,they make up for it with gear reduction!--its amazing that small a motor would even move a two and a half ton truck,even empty--nevermind last any length of time...:crazy:

17. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

I have a 250 in my 83 k10 w/ 36in buckshots, sm465, 10 bolts w/3.73s(factory). Its geared to high at the moment. I have a 14bff w/4.56s to go into it as soon as I find a front axle. The motor is original with 114K miles on it. I'd really like a 292/nv4500/241. I found a 250 for $150 locally but need other things first before buying another engine to build. Anyone know where I can find some performance parts for a 250/292 like pistons, headers, cam, etc.

John

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have built a couple of performance 6s. They ran very well. Always got better milage than a V8.out of them too. I had a 300 6 in a Bronco with a auto trans that got 17-18 mpg on the highway with no overdrive.. It had Headers, Cam, Quadra-jet, 4 barrel intake, ported head, Mallory ign. Balanced, 9.2 to 1 CR Ect, ECT, Used to love blowing the doors off Chev 350 trucks.:cool1: Kinda embarising to have your a$$ handed to you by a 6 cyl.

Also built a 250 6 in a 80 Chev 4x4. It ran good also. not as good as the Ford 300 but i didn.t build it as far. It was mostly stock with headers, manifold 390 CFM holley,

I get my inline 6 performance stuff from http://www.cliffordperformance.com
    They have everything you need for inline engine builds from mild to wild.

19. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I had a 1980 with a 250 and 4spd almost 20 years ago. I bought it form the US Forest Service at auction. The only "accessory" it had was AC. Had factory rubber mats all around. Oh, it was Forest Service Green, of course. Ran 33's on it, but I don't remember the axle ratios. That thing saw thousands of miles exploring surf spots in Baja. It was very drivable.

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

250 to 292 swap...

Yes,Clifford was THE place to get all the hot rod six cylinder stuff--I heard they had a lot of problems after the father/owner passed away in 2001,I saw a lot of flaming posts on their message board for awhile,then they closed it!--I wasnt sure if they were still in business or not....

If you want to put a 292 in place of a 250,you need the passenger side motor mount bracket to the frame from the 292 truck,its mount is in a different spot on the block than a 250--a 292 has the fuel pump where the distributor is on a 250(like they swapped places!)--and the 292 is taller overall than a 250 block,but doesnt really matter,plent of room in the engine bay...Its been awhile since I did such a swap,so there might be a few other things I've forgotten--one thing I remember was the 1 barrel carbs had a different throttle cable hookup than the 2 barrel ones,I had to scour the junkyards for one...

I had a 4 barrel on my 79 250 for 2 years using an adapter plate to the original 2 barrel base--I found it ran best leaving the secondary barrels disconnected,600 CFM was just too much for a six--it would fall flat on its face if you punched it from a stoplight with the secondaries hooked up normal--it actually got better mileage with the edelbrock performer than the crappy rochester 2SE carb did,and it had much better acceleration too--but something went wrong with the # 6 piston,a chunk broke off the top of it,exposing the top compression ring-
    -at 113,000 original miles,it was DONE!--time to stick a fork in it....the motor wasnt badly damaged,but I figured it wasnt worth fixing,I'd rather have a V8 anyway in a full size truck....I think one of chevy's best sixes was the 235 and 261 motors,I had a 56 3200 series truck with a 235 in it--many guys that rode in it swore it had a small block,until I popped the hood!..I hear from old timers the 270 and 302 straight six motors from old GMC trucks were real speed demons on the salt flats--one old hot rod book I have shows one with 5 one barrel carbs,that pushed over 300 horses,and went over 200mph!....:crazy: