Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange bike!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Mar 28, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

That's a recumbent, they've been on the market for close to 20 years. They're actually pretty popular with those that have a hard time with a regular bicycle seat. They're really inefficient though.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

more difficult to ride than a standard bike so I hear. Not in the whole balance aspect but works the legs more.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Hippies/barkeaters all over the place on those around here. It seems that you have to wear Birkenstocks in order to ride one though. :grin:

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Never seen one of them new fangled what'chamucallits round these here parts!!!

I do have a nice aluminum mountain bike I use when canoeing. I park the truck where we are going to come out at and ride the bike back to the launching point and either hide it under camo net or if the river ain't to rough, just throw it in the middle of the canoe!

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

They are also pretty spendy. Expect to pay at least 1K for one

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That's a "bikeE" or clone of one. Recumbents are more efficient than a 'normal' bike b/c you can push against more than your own weight. Have a look at the Human Powered Vehicle contests for colleges, nary a 'std' bike to be found - they're all recumbents.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Pretty sure they use recumbents because they're easier to put aero fairings on. They are not more efficient from a physiological standpoint, only from an aerodynamic one. You can't use your gluts to their full potential and those are the strongest muscles in your legs. Put a guy on a recumbent up against a guy on a standard framed bike and the guy on the standard framed bike is going to make the goober on the recumbent look like a tool.

10 years in the bicycle industry talking here...

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too much chain...

Egads..look at the chain on that thing!--I bet it falls off or gets tangled up in your legs a lot...dont think I'd want one of those ugly POS!!..(and 1000 bucks? :screwy: ). :crazy:

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Have to disagree. Isn't exactly easy to put an Aero on either design. I built the mounts for 3 years of CSU, Chico's HPV team.
    Aero's of equal or near equal cD have been made for 'std' bikes. With clipless pedals pulling is the same, but pushing on a std bike leaves only the leverage of your own weight. Pushing on a recumbent lets you push against the seatback, essentially doing repetitive leg presses. With something to push against you can excert far more force than your own weight.

Whether any particular recumbent has the geometry to facilitate this is another question.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'll agree to disagree, and just restate that if you take a recumbent and a standard "racing" bike and put riders of equal fitness levels on them, the guy on the standard bike would win just about any race. He'd also be less likely to get creamed by a car since his head is more than 3 feet off the ground. :D The goofy flag that you need on a recumbent so cars can see you detracts from the aerodynamics. Plus they're a PITA to ride, impossible to hop curbs with and scary when you jump them off ramps. :rotfl:

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Can't argue against those points!