Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

strange braking noises

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by angrysnowplow, Jan 29, 2004.

1. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Allright, hope someone sees this in time. Tomorrow I'm going up to my Dad's to check out their '00 Accord with some brake issues. Problem is the driver's side rear- intermittently it makes a grinding sound. It comes and goes, and originally only happened during braking. Now it happens most of the time whether you're on the brakes or not. There is also a groove worn into the rotor /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    He just wants me to pull the wheel off and take a peek. Any ideas for what to look for?
    (And does anyone know how the rear caliper comes off on a late model Accord?)
    Any help appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like it needs new break pads. The rivets are diggig a grove in the rotor. Hope you cought it befor it needs a new rotor. Hopefully that one can be turned.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sounds like a metallic noise.. ie a pad digging into a rotor..

4. angrysnowplow

Think so...I took it for a spin and it wouldn't make the noise for me. I was thinking maybe the caliper is FUBAR and digging the pad into the rotor...or maybe the pad is somehow worn/bad. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Just need to get the caliper off and I don't think Dad will appreciate the sawzall/BFH method /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sometimes the pads get hard spots when they're made, are they original pads? it should be held on with 10 mm head bolts.. 2 of them..

6. angrysnowplow

It's only got about 50K on it, can't say for sure but most likely the originals. We shall see what tomorrow brings /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif