Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange clunking noise......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SprinklerGuy, Jan 9, 2003.

1. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy Registered Member

Well I have heard the very first strange noise ever in my Burb....

When I am going slow (like through a drive thru or parking) but only when turning left, I hear a strange clunking sound in what sounds like the front drive axle. But I cannot be sure because I have been alone both times and it is tough to recreate the sound with my sm465 by myself!

It has done it twice, once I think the hubs were in the locked position because the snow was falling and then again yesterday (about 2 weeks after the first time) when the hubs had just been unlocked.

When you are turning left going slow the truck kinda hops and clunks at the same time! It seemed to do it right after some slippage on ice. The rear wheels slipped a little and then it started. I do have posi rear end.

What could this be? Thanks in advance and if I need to get more info, please ask.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would say most probably the axle Ujoints.
    They could be either frozen or sloppy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Do you have auto or manual hubs? Before I installed manual hubs on my blazer sometimes the auto hubs wouldn't fully unlock. When this would happen I'd get a very noticable hard clunking noise.

Also, I had my rear differential explode. Similar to your problem when turning, my rear wheels would hop when making sharp turns. You could pull off your diff cover to see if any of the gear teeth are broken.

4. unsane

unsane Guest

My 89Jimmy does this alot. Escpecialy when turning left while going over a small bump or hill. I still cannot figure out what it is. At first I thought it was the fan clicking on the shroud when the body would flex. I dont think that is the problem though. It's def from the left front area though. I think it may be a jaccked spring or a trashed shock, too cold to find out right now though. Let me know what you find, and I will do the same.