Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange clutch problem, Hyd clutch. Options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Apr 22, 2006.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

SOmetimes when I push the pedal it feels like it is rough and grabbing. Mostly still ok at this point.

Last night it seemed to get "stuck" after I pushed it in and then didn't work at all for about 10 seconds like I was not pushing on anything. Hyd clutch.

Could this be the hyd system or maybe the pressure plate? I know this is a dumb question as it is either/or. But, I have no experience with hyd.

I would think if it is the pressure plate it would do it all the time. The hyd stuff is used and I have no history on it.

Everything else has 3000 miles on it.

11" BB? clutch and PP. sm465 bellhousing mated to nv4500. sm465 throwout bearing. Bearing reteiner on nv was machined down to fit the throwout. Mated to a 4BT Cummins.

Anyway it is coming out of the truck today.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd lean towards slave cylinder. When you bleed out a slave cylinder they do that, stick to the floor until you pull them up usually. Maybe yours is leaking and letting air in the system. Look to see if there is any leakaged anywhere. Squeeze the boot on the slave cylinder too(if there is fluid in their it should drip out then). I'd lean towards hydraulic. The pressure plate acts as the return spring in the clutch system. It pushes back on the slave which lets pushes the pedal back up. I'd also look to see if the mechanics are sitcky. Namely the pedal and where the master attaches to the pedal. Maybe they need to be lubed. And lastly, maybe the throw out arm? It is just a ball and socket design, maybe its really worn out. Grease it up before you put this all together?(I never think to)

3. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I greased it up before putting it in.

When it did it yesterday, pushing the pedal down I felt some hard binding. But the pedal came back up even though I had no clutch. It felt like the pedal was coming back up with about half normal pressure. Pushed on the pedal a few times and it was OK again.

Twice before during this week I felt the hard binding when coming to a stop and forgeting to press the clutch in til late - so the motor was in a bind.

I drove it about 40 miles today and it worked fine.

Someone said it may be a cracked fork.

I am not looking forward to pulling the trans out, but I need to replace 3rd gear syncro anyway. I love working on the truck, just not this weekend, I want to rest and spend time with my son.

4. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Two springs came out

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

From the disc?