Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange drive train noise after long run

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by marcus, Aug 1, 2003.

1. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Guys,

Asfter a long run (20miles+) at 70mph+, when I slow down at a junction and stop, as I pull off, there is a clunking/craking noise form underneath the truck...and some associated vibration...this only goes on for a second or so...then it's fine.

This also never happens driving around town...it just seems to be after no hard runs on the motorway....any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

my guess check the fluid level in your t case if ok then check the amount of play in the rear output shaft
    good luck

3. marcus

marcus Registered Member

thanks for that....now...I'm going to show my ignorance...what fluid should be in the t-case, and are the fluid check holes and drain holes pretty obvious...?

Thanks...

Mark

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ATF fluid inside

There should be a plug at the top of the t case. If I remember right it was a big plug and I had to get out the big adjustable wrench to get it off.

The drain hole is at the bottom of the tcase, right straight down from the top check hole!!

Don't worry about showing off that you don't know anything. Bet you could go back through all these experts posts and find them asking stuff!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. marcus

marcus Registered Member

thnaks for that...I'll have alook this weekend and let you guys know how it turns out...