Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange Eaton HO72 idea. Input?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OrangeCrushK10, Jan 18, 2005.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

okay, so I was looking at my rear end after welding the spiders and re-assembling the carier and I thought of an idea.

Since these have a removable third, wouldn't it be possible to install the removable third upsidedown? The carrier would be reversed to the other side and the pinion would be at the top of the rear end! Raising the pinion would give you a few inches on your driveline angle, which would mean shorter driveshaft with a lift and less binding because of steep angles.

What downsides could this have though, if it's even possible. The only thing I can think of is the pinion wouldn't get as much oil, but the ring gear would still bring some oil up to it. Anything else I could be missing with this idea?

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Doh!

Nevermind. After thinking it over for a moment I realized that having the ring ger on the other side would make you have permanent reverse, except when you put the transmission in reverse.

DOH! :doah: :screwy: :rotfl:

Ah-well.... just trying to think outside the box..... :grin: