Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange electrical question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by red5033, Nov 3, 2004.

1. red5033

red5033 Newbie

I resently purchased an 85' k5. I am experiencing an unusual electrial problem and was curious if anyone had experienced anything similar or could offer any advise on where I should start. The fuse for my gauges keeps blowing. When I replace it (with the correct size, 20 amp), it blows. Sometimes it will blow immediately and sometimes it waits for for me to drive it awhile before blowing. Before blowing, all my guages work as they should. I even did a no, no and put a 25 amp fuse in its place and it too, blew. I dont even know where to start with this one????

Robert

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like you've got a short on your dash...the wire takes a while to find a ground, and once it does, your fuse pops.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You might have a short in the printed curcuit thing on the back of the dash cluster,or a wire to the gas gauge might be shorting to ground intermittantly--does the gas gauge work ok???. And yes,it is a no-no /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif to put 25 amp fuses in the "gauges"fuse slot--any more than 5 or 10 amps almost gaurantees a fire--the printed curcuit is nothing more than a peice of plastic film with copper strips made into it--it will burn nicely long enough to set the rest of the interior on fire!!. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif