Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange fuel problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ankarback, Feb 21, 2006.

1. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Hi !

My suburban have recently developed a strange fuel problem. When going up steep hills the engine act like it's starving on fuel and then stops. To get it started again it has to be towed down to level ground. It's just like it's sucking air in the fuellines from somewhere. The carb is a quadrajet but I don't think the carb is the problem because the fuelline is completely dry when the truck stops, I've checked that. I've also noticed that the fuel gauge have started to sway from empty to full when on the trail. Can that have something to do with it?

Anyone got an idea where to start looking. It's very annoying when you have to be towed downhill especially if you have trucks behind you on the trail :doah:

2. takebackthepower

takebackthepower Registered Member

i have a 82 Jimmy and it was having almost that same thing, i had no clue what it was then someone told me to clean my fill filter, and when i did it never had the the problem again.:D

i dont know if your's is the same kindof deal, but you might want to look into that...

hope i could have been of some help

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Coupled with the fuel gauge weirdness, might be looking at a broken sender. I've heard of them breaking off inside the tank, which could mean the pickup tube is not connected very low in the tank anymore.

Also, have heard of rusted fuel lines and/or bad connections leaking just enough to negate the pumps effectiveness.

4. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I didn't know the fuel pickup tube was connected to the sender, that might be the problem then. Looks like I have to lower the tank and check it out :doah:
    Thanks for the help.