Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

strange grinding noise on decel from front.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Terminaltsi, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Terminaltsi

Terminaltsi Registered Member

i have a 73 k5 with the NP203 and manual hubs. i have recently noticed a strange grinding noise upon decel coming from the left front wheel. it sounds almost like axle splines.....it goes away when i start accelerating again. also , i tdoesn't always occur. i took apart the hub on both sides to see if there was any obvious problem, but nothing. any ideas?

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I am having the same problem in the rear maybe something is going around the PHX area /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif 203's are full time right? If so, are you sure its not a ujoint? Just an idea...

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If the 203 is still full time I would start looking at the front drive shaft CV. If it's full time and your running it in LOC with hub unlocked your not helping the 203. Yes you can do that for a while but it puts extra slop into the driver train and wears on the locking collar.

4. Terminaltsi

Terminaltsi Registered Member

yes the 203 is still full time, but i don't run it with out the hubs locked, i know about the wear it causes. u joints are all good, did a recent inspection and replaced a couple. front driveshaft CV is also good.
    is there anything in the hub/bearing area that could cause this?