Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange grinding sound ???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1BAD88, Mar 14, 2002.

1. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I am noticing a grinding noise coming from my engine It is always there when in gear and nuetral I checked all the pulleys and they seem tight could this be the waterpump on its way out ar smog pump?I just put in a new ps pump so I know it is'nt that .Anyone ever have this before? thanks for any info......................

2. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

Stick shift??

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Could also be the fan clutch, easy enough to pull the clutch to test, even on serpentine, right?

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My balancer did this when the motor mounts and cross member were loose/broken. It was most noticeable when I put my (auto) in gear on the brakes and gave it gas. The twisting went into the cross-member and did a grinding noise.

Good Luck

5. dyeager535

Yep, thats a good one too..pretty easy to see, the balancer and crossmember will both be shiny where they rub : )

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Could also be a stretched timing chain. Mine is in need of a new timing chain, or gear drive. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif, and makes noises. Not really a "grinding" noise, But noise none-the-less...Just tryin to cover all the bases.

7. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

My k-5 is an automatic I put on a direct fan last year (no fan clutch) and it seems to be tight .The only culprit I can think of is the waterpump or smog pump .I looked at the harmonic balancer and there is no rub marks on the frame .could this be tranny ?? tourqe converter .It figures that I just fixed my death wobble now I got this grinding noise I love my old chevy but man it wont give me a break...................thanks for all the replys I will keep lookin to find it .........

8. dyeager535

Torque converter bearing problem is (I can't remember which) either noise when in gear, but not P/N, or the other way around...fit the bill?

9. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Tighten your tourque converter bolts. When i had my auto trans i had to tighten them all the time it would make my tranny sound like it was gonna explode.

10. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

What ever you do, DO NOT GIVE UP AND SELL IT. All of ours give us problems all the time. That's part of the fun of owning an old Blazer. But you might want to check that your fly wheel is tight. Not just to the T/C but also the rear balancer. Well mine is a 305 and my fly wheel attaches to it. It came loose not to long ago and wore out the front main on the Tranny. What a mess. But it was grinding and I didn't think to look there. All I did was check the Torque converter. So you might want to check that.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

ditto on that one- mines been "waiting to get finished" for a FULL YEAR now... I bought it in March of 01- and its still sitting waiting for the FIRST TIME I TURN THE KEY!.... nothing like breaking my stones. Every time I go to "finish" it,,, something screwy happens- like the radiator I bought doesnt fit... buy a new one- the hose's are the wrong size....Go to put the grill, trim on -- can't find any of the correct screws... go buy new ones- wrong size.... etc... its the life of having the beast. Some people think I'm crazy (mother in law the most)... why would I want to spend a year fixing something I haven't driven LOL... and the fun's not over. once I get it running- drivable- I still have to figure out how to lenghthen my linkage so I can use 4HI.... and put the interior back in- get her painted, you know... the list goes on and on and on !!!!
    good luck with your noise... just remember- once you get this noise fixed- your going to hear another one LOL or at least thats how my "world goes"...

--Brandy