Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

strange harmonic type sound on wifes DD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Apr 26, 2004.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey guys give me some ideas here. my wifes 94 GMC sanoma is making a weird type harmonic sound from some where near the rear end. it's a matalic type humming kind like humming into a hollow metal tube at a high pitch. it will make this noise unsder accleration from first gear into second gear. and the quit. i don't think it's the rear end cause it qoes away but i have been know to be wrong (just ask my wife).i wanna think it has something to do with the drive shaft cause of the sound, but it think the drive shaft is just the object the is transmitting the sound form the rear end or the tranny /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

any ideas?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds like bearing

alot of these later rear axles have had failures and is actually common at least around here, is it the 8.5" axle ? if so then yeah i bet axle is going south just like a billion others are and have

good luck

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would bet it's a 7.5 if it's in a Sonoma.

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh dang it. i guess i cant hear it all the time is cause of the higher RPM's causeing it to quite it down. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif oh well i guess it would be better than replacing a tranny.