Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange noise coming from inside the dash

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cryptobiotic, Jan 6, 2003.

1. cryptobiotic

cryptobiotic Registered Member

Seems as though sometimes when i start my truck and start going usually it happens when i reach over 45 mph this noise starts up from inside the dash, it sounds like a small motor going really fast, when i feel right bottom side of the dash or the speedometer you can feel it vibrating along with that little motor or what ever it is, i think it might be my speedometer when i slow down a bit it wil stop and sometimes start up agian...this ever happen to anyone else?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's most likely the speedo cable.
    Change it or lube it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cryptobiotic

What is the speedo cable??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Speedometer cable /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    It's the cable that connects the speedometer to the transfercase /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It should be a 5 minute job and cost you around $10-15

5. cryptobiotic

nice dude thanks thats probably definitly what it is /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    thats probably definitly what it is

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">That's worthy of a quote of the week! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Just lube the cable and see if that takes care of it. If yours is frayed and you need a new one I think I have a spare, it's my old one from before I went to the Autometer gauges and it should be in good condition. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

7. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

pull that dash off, sounds to me like the cable might need lubed, they make a noise like what you described when they're dry...try that, if that doesnt solve it, might need a new speedo...but if its working fine my best guess is lube the cable....
    if your speedo slows down when you hear the noise it could also be the end of the cable, its square at the end and it could even be worn and slipping... you'll just have to wait and see what you find when you pull the instrument cluster...
    good luck

8. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It should be a 5 minute job and cost you around $10-15

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? What's involved in replacing this? I thought we'd have to pull the dash gauges out? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm betting that its the speedo head itself. The spinning noise to me nails it, since the speedometer has to be turning steadily to produce a steady noise (not a jumping speedo needle like a dry or bent speedo cable will do).

My truck made the *exact* same noise a couple of times, except mine was coupled with the speedometer reading about twice the normal speed. Went back to "normal" after a couple of episodes, and no problem since.

You can test the speedometer cable by holding the cable sheath, one end in each hand, and twisting one end of the speedo cable itself. If the sheath jumps around or is tough to twist, lube the cable and see if it goes away, if not, get a new one.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

In the blazer? I just reach in blindly with my hand and snap the lock off the back of the speedo, then unhook it from underneath on the Tcase.
    Pull it out of the gromet in the firewall, run the new one through, push the cable in the back of the cluster until it clicks.
    The go under and hook it to the Tcase.
    I takes me 5-10 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. cryptobiotic

Damn well then come down here to SLC and do it!! hahahaha that would probably definitly work! I will just get it replaced i don't wanna mess around with it or nuthin if it's sqeakin, replace it!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Now Dorian might be right, it could be the speedo itself, but I would check the cable first.
    But even the speedo is a 15-20 min job, once you take of the cover, you pull the speedo out, and unhook the cable, put the new one and press it in.