Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Jul 30, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Background info:
    I bought my K5 in non running condition. It had a straight 6/3 speed manual and NP205. I kept the 205 and swapped in a 454/Sm465. Both the 3 speed and 4 speed were 10 spline units. I have the right adapter for the 4 speed/205 but if I remember correctly the sleeve between the 2 came from the 3 speed/205.

The problem:
    It drives fine but if I hit the gas or let off suddenly I get a nasty clunking noise that sounds like somewhere in the t-case area. It's not u-joints cause they are all new. I checked the t-case mount bushing and it is intact. Nothing is visibly moving while driving, I had the shift hump off to see if I could tell what it was.

If the drive sleeve was too long or too short maybe could it cause this noise? Maybe a cracked sleeve or some other t-case problem??
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Could it be the length of your driveline? To long or to short maybe. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

No, nothing to do with shaft length, I have plenty /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    It sounds like something in or near the t-case. I've never heard this type of clunking before /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Those sleeves wear out and could be skipping teeth. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif